1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

kittens have eyes stuck together

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by piecemaker, Oct 23, 2008.

1. piecemaker

piecemaker Songster

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    looks like maybe a cold in their eyes any suggestion on what to do to help them. Ive been soaking them with a warm rag when I find them The mom keeps moving them

Theresa

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    How old are they? Is there drainage?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I get an ointment from the vet (very inexpensive) and it usually clears them right up.

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive 10 Years

What we do is ether use the oitment and/or wash ( with warm water and a paper towel ) the eyes daily.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I would keep with the warm, wet wash cloth and depending on the age, get some terremycin (sp?) ointment for their eyes and that should clear it up. Just take a small amount and wipe it from the inside corner of they eye across to the outer corner of each eye.

6. Akane

Akane Crowing

Jun 15, 2008
    Eyes that keep gunking up can be a sign of a few illnesses. You need to talk to a vet.

7. spook

spook Songster

Wash with cold tea. The tannic acid in the tea will clear up crusty eyes on cat, dog, baby, elder, chicken or cow. Many amazing things can be treated with a cup of tea. Broken hearts to weepy eyes! LOL. [​IMG]

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Crowing

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:My granny used to clean the kittens eyes out with camomille tea.

9. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Try and get some vitiman C in the kittens. The ointment is good for the eyes too. Check the kittens gums. They need to be good and pink. If they are white could be feline lukemia. Check the mama cats gums too. If its just a cold the vitiman C will knock it out. Its just like when humans drink orange juice when sick. I give my cats vitimin C every winter to prevent colds.

10. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Songster

Apr 24, 2008
    Be sure to give mama extra vitamins, so she will pass it on to the babies. Oh, is it a tiny kitten? I have never seen it on older kittens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: