Kittens in New York ready to go next week

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by DUccleDude, May 30, 2008.

1. DUccleDude

DUccleDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Cameron Mills, NY
    A stray momma kitty had 5 kittens on our front porch, they are a little over 7 weeks old. They will be ready to go to new homes next week. Anyone close to us interested? I have 5 cats already or I would keep them they are so cute! [​IMG] Here are pictures of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    If it's possible to keep them with their mom for at least 8 weeks, they and mom will be much better adjusted after separation. 10-14 weeks is much better than 8, but life is not always that neat.
    JJ

3. DUccleDude

Apr 13, 2008
    Cameron Mills, NY
    I am aware that they should be at least 8 weeks before they leave momma.. I work for a vet...Thanks for the info though [​IMG]

4. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    They are in good hands! And they sure are adorable and look like they are having great fun exploring the new world [​IMG]

(in reading your post I was added 3 weeks plus "a few weeks" and was thinking you might possibly have been thinking they would go at 6 weeks...many many people think that's the right age and don't know it should be longer....it's so comforting when people are already in the know! I'm really glad to meet you because I almost never encounter anyone who is aware of the importance of a longer time with their mom, and the mom's need for a lonegr time with them.)

I would be happy to spread the word to friends in NY - whereabouts (roughly) is Cameron Mills, so they could judge relative distance?

JJ

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  5. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    As a cat lover I wish to thank you for caring for this stray momma and her babies.

6. DUccleDude

Apr 13, 2008
    Cameron Mills, NY
    Quote:They will be 4 weeks on Monday, I am planning on keeping them till they are at least 8 weeks so I can treat them for fleas with advantage or frontline and they need to be 8 weeks for that plus they do much better in their new home at that age, less separation anxiety. Momma kitty needs to be spayed too! I am hoping to find her a good home as well. We are just to the west of Corning, New York in the finger lakes region. We live way out in the country and people are always dropping cats off here and I take care of them till I can find them good homes. People can be so cruel![​IMG]

7. DUccleDude

Apr 13, 2008
    Cameron Mills, NY
    Well the Kittens are almost 8 weeks old now, they are eating on their own and running all over the place. They will be ready to go to new homes next week. They will make great little hunters they are already catching bugs and all the little creatures. Momma kitty also needs a good home. If anyone is interested please let me know.

8. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:How right you are; irresponsibility is in epidemic proportions I'm afraid. Thank you for taking such good care of these little munchkins, and their mom! Finger Lakes - how lucky - I have yet to make it there but I'm told it's such a beautiful area and plan to get there at some point!!!

I will right now send out a bulletin to New York friends and others about the kitties and re: your relative location. Do you wish to provide an e-mail address and or phone number so people can contact you if interested? It may be a little too complicated to send them through BYC to find you because they'd have to register to reply, etc. .

When one of my very preggers rescues had her kittens (she was in that condition when I found her!) I had a very difficult time finding good homes - must have interviewed over 100 prospects over the course of many weeks. Way too many weird people out there that come off as polished at first and even second meeting but whose true colors show through upon home inspections and reference checks. There are not enough sane homes for the kittens that are born which is why it is so shortsighted for people not to spay/neuter when they could instead liberate cats and dogs from death row in shelters. You and I - the moms appeared before us already way pregnant or having had their litter so that's a different story morning glory.

Some of the things I did to try to find good homes in addition to e-mailing my network of animal folks - I made up a very informative flyer and posted at quality vets offices - the flyer made it clear extensive screening would be done for the welfare of the kitties - figured anyone who wanted to endure that was already a leg up! I also put the flyer on health food store community bulletin boards and on bulletin boards in very nice coffee shops in nice towns.

All other things being equal, I chose situations where the kittens could go in pairs so they would be less traumatized. I didn't in any way, shape or form plan to but ended up keeping the mom and now I can't imagine life without her.

Hoping for wonderful situations for the kitties and I'll get busy getting an e-mail missive ready and will add contact info last...will check back.

JJ

9. DUccleDude

Apr 13, 2008
    Cameron Mills, NY
    I am hoping that I can find these kittens good homes there are so many out there that need good homes, but I cannot keep every stray that shows up at my house, I would have a hundred cats! But anyway my email if anyone wants to email me is [email protected], I don't feel comfortable giving out my phone number too many weirdo's out there. Thanks JJ for the compliments but that is just the way I am otherwise I wouldn't work everyday helping animals. [​IMG]

10. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:Boy do I hear you on that one! Okay, off to get that e-mail circulating......

JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by