kittens

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mullers3acers, Aug 27, 2008.

1. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    We found three kittens in our pump house three days ago.
    They are healthy and very cute. Two are long haired tigers grey. The third is all white except the tip of it's tail is light grey. My youngest daughter has fallen in love with this one. My question is it has blue eyes I have heard a cat with blue eyes is either blind or deaf which is it?

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I do believe that all kittens eyes are blue to begin with....then they change as they grow.

3. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    The kittens are about 3 to 4 weeks old. Shouldn't they have changed by now?

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Kittens are born with blue eyes. Most change as they get older. Simesse, Hymilain (sp), and similar breeds have blue eyes even as adults. It has to do with the breed-not deafness or blindness.

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Not necessarily.

6. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
  7. carwinew

carwinew Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    If they are very young then the white one could have Siamese in it. In that case as it gets older it will add color to its "points", that is its ears, nose, tail and paws. Gray colored points are classified as a blue point Siamese. Siamese are not deaf and even part Siamese cats with blue eyes are not deaf either. We have a young kitten whose parents are a gray and yellow tabby but she looks like a seal point Siamese and she has no problem hearing the can opener.

8. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you have a solid white cat with no other color in the fur with Blue eyes they Could be deaf. but they can't have any other color not even a little spot. So I think your kittens are safe. All kittens are Born with blue eyes, they change color about a month or so. Good Luck with the kittens! and Please post a Photo

9. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    It takes a while for a kittens eyes to change, but you can usually tell if the kittens eyes will stay blue, do they reflect red? If so they will probably stay blue. Blue eyes do not mean they will be deaf, "some" solid white cats are deaf. Your kitten will probably get more color as it gets older, Siamese types are often born looking mostly white. We currently have 3 blue eyed cats, all hear fine.

We've had two deaf cats, and neither had blue eyes, one was solid white w/ green/gold eyes, and the other was tortie colored and had gold eyes. We also owned two other solid white cats, both w/ odd eyes and they could hear. I'd say probably 35% or so solid white blue eyed cats are deaf and maybe 15% solid white non blue eyed cats are deaf.

Off topic sort of, but a stray that has moved in on my sister in law just had kittens, 2 female tabbies and 3 male white/tabby point kittens! They're looking for homes if anyone is looking. I'm sure she'd let the mom (also tabby point) go to, if not she's planning to have her spayed and let her stay.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    just try to test thier hearing....clap..or make another loud noise...while they are playing...behind thier head(so they cant see you)...you will be able to tell if they can hear or not..good luck, Wendy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by