Kitting out a shed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Irishhenman, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Irishhenman

Irishhenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Ireland
    I am going to buy a shed in the next couple of weeks and I want to kit it out in cages. I also want to make the last three feet of the shed into an aviary for cockatiels and budgies. I am think I will put eight 30" square cages in, four on either side, one on top of the other (so there would be two blocks of four cages). I would then put a work bench in and some shelves for storage. The top of the cages could also be used for storage. I want some opinions and advice on my plans.
    thanks

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Is this for chickens?

Chris

3. Irishhenman

Jul 2, 2013
    Ireland
    Yes, everything but the aviary at the bottom

4. 25 chickens

25 chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    I'm not sure the chickens would like living in the cages.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I can see doing smaller coop like things, we just recently build one for some silkies but i don't understand the genuine caging idea, are you running a breeding/exhibition type of set-up?

Here i'll show you what we did.. this is for a flock of 5 bantam silkies it has a pop door leading to a run as well. It's inside a smaller barn/shed. I could actually do quite a few of these in here lol(insert an evil laugh) and you could stack them too, mind you the concept of the pop door would be a little trickier with the height. Off hand i couldn't tell you exact measurements but it's roomy and provides them with decent space and protection from cold/preds.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  6. Irishhenman

Jul 2, 2013
    Ireland
    Sorry. I should have said, the chickens already have runs outside, these cages would not be a permanent home

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by