Kitty Cat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 6RandomBrownLayers, Apr 5, 2012.

1. 6RandomBrownLayers

6RandomBrownLayers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2011
    So I have a havahart trap set up with cat food in it and 5 minutes ago I caught a cat! I let it go because it didn't look feral and I didn't think it would harm my chickens. Now I am not so sure if I should have let it go, I have caught a cat before and took it to the SPCA because I knew it was feral (a neighbor had seen it eating bread and it was always outside). I don't know if I should have taken it to the SPCA or SSS. I don't really know the "proper protocol" for catching a cat. I use the trap in hopes of catching more fierce predator (opossum or raccoon) so I bait it with cat food ( ironic I caught a cat, right? [​IMG]) I was just wondering what others do when/if they caught a cat.

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Just because a cat is always outside does not mean that it is feral.

Why are you trapping? Are you actually having chickens being killed? Is your coop and run set up to prevent predation?

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I let cats go because I know some of my neighbor's have barn cats that will occassionally stop by and I don't want to be shipping their cats off to the pound or otherwise disposing of them. I've never had a problem with cats showing any interest in full sized chickens and my younger chicks are kept in a coop/run that is not accessible to cats, or any predator. The only time I even have a trap set is on the occasion that I do get a nasty feral cat start hanging around and fighting with my own barn cats. Once caught, I have the neighbors check to make sure it's not theirs then take it to the pound.

4. 6RandomBrownLayers

Nov 23, 2011
    I have a trap set because of raccoon tracks and pictures of both raccoons and opossums on my trail cam. The raccoon tracks were with three feet of my coop. I think I'll bring the trap in though as I haven't caught any real predators and I don't want to catch cats, they aren't much of a chicken predator.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Good idea to keep them ready.I have my traps set 24/7.Been a while since I caught anything.Cleared out most of the coons and possusms.If I catch a cat it will be taken away. I have my own cats and dogs and I keep them in my yard.Others need to do the same.

6. 6RandomBrownLayers

Nov 23, 2011
    Mattemma, what did you use for bait for the raccoons and possums?

7. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    I have a problem with a raccoon

8. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    I just don't feel that trapping or killing is necessary unless there is actual predation occurring. Otherwise we would just kill every animal because we thought it might do harm and have a world without animals.

1 person likes this.
  9. jamesaramey

jamesaramey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    kill anything that will kill chickens

10. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    shoot the cat with a 22 rifle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by