Kitty litter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by New Kid In the Coop, Aug 21, 2008.

1. New Kid In the Coop

New Kid In the Coop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2008
    SW Washington
    Hi all,
    I was not sure which forum to post this in so I am posting it here! What about using kitty litter in the coop instead of pine shavings... the kind that clumps. Is this feesable? Expensive? Just wondering. Thanks in advance for your replies!

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Eeeeeewwwww.....clumping cat litter is NASTY. If my cats' paws are even slightly damp it gets stuck on their little feet. You would have a HUGE mess.

ETA....not to mention, I am sure they would ingest some and get an impacted crop.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  3. New Kid In the Coop

Aug 15, 2008
    SW Washington
    I guess that answers my question! Thanks luvmychicknkids![​IMG]

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    You are welcome. And I forgot to add...... [​IMG]

5. New Kid In the Coop

Aug 15, 2008
    SW Washington
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I am obviously new to raising chickens! I will probably ask some dumb questions in the next few months so I hope everyone is patient with me! I have already learned so much from this forum. The biggest thing I have learned is how much I need to learn! [​IMG] Thanks again!

6. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I read somewhere about a tray built under the roost and filled with kitty litter to catch the night droppings. Then scooped out daily. I thought it was a great idea. I plan to try that in my new coop.

7. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

My coop is a corner of a pole barn that has been enclosed. It has a dirt floor and I use kitty litter under the roost. It really works well, but I only scoop it out about once a week. It is enclosed to keep them from picking through it. I believe Stall-Dri (I think that is the name) contains the same material as non-clumping kitty litter, but finer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by