Knarly Bleeding Buff Orpington Feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moderndayhippy, May 21, 2010.

1. moderndayhippy

moderndayhippy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    We just purchased 4 - 2 year old Buff Orpingtons earlier this week. They're all hens. When I went in to check for eggs this morning, I found blood lightly spattered on top of the nesting box, where they sleep at night. I immediately knew that it was from their feet, but decided to look anyway. Sure enough, for some reason they are bleeding from their feet. It appears that at least 2 of the 4 have really knarly dry looking feet, that seem to get raw in some places and bleed. I've never seen them pick at them or anything, so I'm assuming that it's just from having such dry feet, much like when our skin gets dry & cracked, then bleeds. So I'm wondering if there's anything that I can be doing for them? I feel so badly for them. I've also noticed that they have really long toenails. I am assuming that I should just leave them alone and not trim them. Is this correct? This is all very new to me because we also own 5 Black Sexlinks, and their feet have never done anything like that.

I am also having trouble with our Sexlinks picking on the Buff Orpingtons, which I expected to happen, but is there a better way to get them used to each other? I did wait to put them into the coop at night, like many people suggested to me, but I don't feel that it really helped at all. I can't keep them separated, because we don't have anywhere else to put them, so they have to share the same coop & run. They are ok as long as I allow them out to free range (while I supervise) but once I put them back in the run, the Sexlinks chase and peck the Buffs, and back into the coop they go. The only time they can seem to get out of the coop is early in the morning, when we first let them out, and when I allow them to free range. Will this continue on, or will they eventually get along better? I'm very concerned over the bullying. It's not constant or ongoing, but if they try to go out in the run, they are immediately pecked at and run back into the coop. It makes me so sad and I feel badly like there's nothing else I can do.

Can anyone please help me with any of my questions and give me ideas too? I'd really appreciate it.

2. moderndayhippy

Apr 1, 2010
    BUMPING. Anyone?

3. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Are their legs scaly or bumped? Could be leg mites - search it here. They should get along fine - did you introduce the new birds to the coop at night. That can be helpful, seems like the others never even notice there are new birds in there when they wake in the morning.

4. moderndayhippy

Apr 1, 2010
    Quote:Their feet are scaly and bumpy looking. I'll definitely look at the leg mite thing. Thanks.

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    So, you have existing hens but did not quarantine when bringing in new hens from elsewhere? It is very important to quarantine, to practice bio-security and to protect your birds from diseases that might cause them harm. If your new birds have scaly mites ALL of your birds will now have to be treated. Do a search here. Best of luck to you and your flock.

Jenny

6. moderndayhippy

Apr 1, 2010
    I just did a search and am pretty sure that's what it is. Gall darn it! I know you're supposed to quaratine, but we have no place to quarantine them at. I have no problem treating all of the birds for it, it's just so frustrating to me that the former owner didn't know about this or treat it, especially since all she did the whole time we were there was brag about how much she spoils the chickens, and how I could never spoil them as much as she does. Yeah, ok. Whatever lady. I'm going to let my MIL know to tell her (since she's my MIL's neighbor) exactly what she "spoiled" her chickens with, and how big of a problem she has given me. Thanks a whole heck of lot you big spoiler you. [​IMG] Something like this is exactly what I was afraid of happening. *sigh*

7. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Caveat Emptor

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by