Knee surgery wednesday(update with good news)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thechickman04, Jan 4, 2009.

1. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    Hello backyard chicken friends it has been way too long since i have had time to get online. I have bad news though. I tore my ACL and Meniscus in my left knee a couple months ago and was forced to sell almost all my chickens. I have been waiting for surgery for a while and i finally get it this wednesday. I will most likely end up selling more of my flock cause of this injury. Well please just keep me in your prayers this week and hope for the best. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I'll be praying for ya! DH tore his meniscus and had laproscopic surgery this past summer. Other than being a constant whiney butt, he did fine.[​IMG]

3. Litewings

Litewings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Don't worry, you'll be fine. I tore my right ACL in 1990. They repaired it and it worked so well I decided to tear my left ACL in 1998. Both are working fine for now. (Don't sell the farm.) Make sure that you follow through with the rehab. The Doctors will have you back in action in no time.

[​IMG]

Litewings [​IMG]

4. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    im not gonna sell the farm ots my parents haha...i just take care of my own chickens its my hobby and i dont wanna make it anyone elses problem

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Aww darn...I've done that too...Good luck with your operation and with your birdies.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    They do amazing things today and recovery is faster than ever. I had a customer come in This past Saturday and he was barely limping after having that same surgery. I was shocked. Try not to worry and Best wishes for a speedy recovery [​IMG]

7. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Good for you, getting it done:) Its a pain in the you know what if you don't. When we were young, I wouldn't let my DH have the knee operation he needed cause I was certain the nurses would fall in love with him, poor man! We are divorced now, he has to exercise daily to keep moving and its been tough on him. He'd be the first to admit he was tough on himself back then, too!

My 86 year old landlord had that done 3 years ago and he was very happy he had, you couldn't tell he'd had a problem:) When we bought a house, the last thing he said before we lost contact was that his knee would outlast him.

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

9. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I had a torn meniscus repaired at the end of September. I was walking the same day I had the surgery. I stopped the Vicodin 24 hours after the surgery. I I had no problem taking care of my animals the same day. My house has two flights of stairs. I used a crutch for two days. I was logging trees on my mountain ten days later and I am over 40.

What I did was make sure the knee did not lock up, which it will if you remain immobile. MOVE IT and keep ice on it and take a good anti-inflamitory. My knee is ok a few months later, but has more than just the tear, I have worn cartilage and bone on bone going on. I'll need a new knee someday but am using it now a bit more carefully now that I know what is wrong.

I see you have an ACL issue too. I am not sure how or if that will complicate things further but do what your doctor says. When I had mine done he told me I couldn't do anything to affect the repair. I sallied forth.

Your knee will swell up, it will hurt, it will turn icky colors but I don't think you will have to give up your birds, use crutches to do your chores if you have too.

FWIW: My boss at work is a few years older than me and a big time jogger (I am not by any means). He was off work for three weeks when he had his torn meniscus cleaned out. I missed one day and a weekend and was back to work on Monday. We are all different and heal and feel pain differently but just be positive you will recover quickly and I think you will.

Good luck! [​IMG]

10. nerfy

nerfy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Western Illinois
    All the best to you with your surgery and recovery.
    I had massive knee surgery done a little over a year ago, and wish I had done it sooner. I spent many years with a knee that had the support of a wet noodle if I moved the wrong way. Replaced ALC, torn meniscus, arthritis, bone on bone, and then some. Took a bit to totally heal, being I'm in my late 40's. I was up on 1 crutch and the full leg brace in 2 weeks cleaning house...slow but steady.
    But with physical therapy, I was walking normal in about 2 months.
    Surgery is very non-invasive with the scope and such.
    You'll be up and about before you know it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by