1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Knight in shining armour (pic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wisher1000, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I have seven to nine week old chicks in my growout flock. I just introduced 5 four week old Campines that mother hen got tired of. Today I noticed that one of the Silver Campines had a bloody spot on the back of her neck. I brought her in and cleaned it up to find that there was an eraser size hole in the back of her head that exposed her skull [​IMG] after the feathers dried, I gobbed some antibiotic gel on it and covered it with a fashoned piece of duct tape. In this pic she is scratching at it but in just a little while, she seemed to not even notice it. The others seem to ignore it so far. My son said she looks like a Knight in a helment. My other son said she was a nun! I hope that by the time it comes off the area below will be healed and she will be big enough to get away from the would be peckers. She looks so funny!

[​IMG]

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

No comments? [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Of course that's chicken tape.

Imp- [​IMG]

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Duct tape is a wonderful thing! I used it on my lab the second time she tore out one of her dew claws! The first time cost me over $300 in vet bills! So the second time I turned to Neosporin, gauze, and duct tape. Worked beautifully. That was 6 years ago - she hasn't done it since thank goodness!

5. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I use duct tape all the time to make horse "boots" for injured or abcessed hooves. I may have to be more creative after seeing the "Helmet Chick"LOL

6. icemanchicken

icemanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    I feel honored to be the neighbor of such an honorable chicken! Lol, Do you know of any place around tuscaloosa that i can purchase some guineas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by