Knitters - I Need Basic Beginning Help

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by #1California Chick, Jan 15, 2010.

1. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Hi

My daughter gave me a Knifty Knitter round loom for Christmas. I love it -- BUT I made a tangled mess out of the skein of yarn!!!!

The instructions said to use two yarns as one. SO, I took (or tried to take) one end of the yarn from the inside of the skein and one end from the outside of the skein. it was a LARGE skein so I knew that there was plenty of yarn to make a beanie. I soon had a massive tangle!!! I spent MORE time untangling the yarn than I did knitting!!!

So --what should I have done??? Do I really need to buy TWO skeins of yard, even if one skein is huge??? Should I roll the yarn into a ball first??? If I roll it into a ball, how can I double up the yarn??? Do I roll it into two balls? Roll a ball with half of the yarn, cut the yarn and roll another ball???

As I said, basic beginning help!!

Thanks for any advice!

Cindy

2. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

When I need to equally divide a skein of yarn I wind it into a ball, weigh it on a kitchen scale on the gram setting, then wind a second ball from it. The scale will show when the 2 halves are within a gram or two of each other. Have fun!

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    First of all...........WELCOME PEEPACHEEP!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    I do not knit but I do crochet. I have a wonderful husband who has patience enough to sit and detangle my messes! He rolls them into balls for me when I make a mess. I always make a mess if I try to take the yarn from the outside... [​IMG].

4. #1California Chick

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:How do you find the end of the yarn on the inside??? I felt all around and ended up pulling out a bunch of yarn - which lead to part of my tangles!

Thanks!
    Cindy

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  5. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    It is suppose to be there but that is how my dh gets the job of making balls for me...when I cannot find it. Sometimes when I pull on that single thread that is suppose to be on the inside it comes out with a knot of yarn...if I were a patient person (not)I would take my time and untangle it. It doesn't happen very often, really.

6. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    do a search and look for the Crochet thread, those gals are very experienced and I am sure you will get an answer from them. They are all so talented.

7. #1California Chick

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Ozark Hen

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Cindy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by