1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

knitting or crocheting? with Carpel Tunnel

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by artsyrobin, Oct 31, 2009.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    hi guys, i have carpel tunnel and wondered which is easier on the hands, knitting or crocheting? i mostly crochet but have heard knitting is better and less damaging

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I loom knit. It doesn't seem to cause too much trouble.

3. Kgee

Kgee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    MO/MS
    Have you tried some ergonomic hooks? A larger crochet hook handle works wonders for crochet elbow. I got a set of hooks by ProvoCraft (big purple handles with interchangeable hooks, $20 @ WalMart) that I love. I wasn't going to quit hooking, so I had to come up with something to keep from crippling myself [​IMG]

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    My hands bother me a lot when i am crocheting but I don't know how to knit so all i do (just every so often) is I take an Advil and start again in about a 1/2 hour

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Will look for the provocraft- i did pick up some handeze gloves, at hobbylobby and they have helped some, i knit a little, but crocheting is my first choice... i have wooden bamboo hooks which i love, my hands go numb and eventually my wrist will start aching- i am a pet portrait artist, so i've got to figure a way to protect my hands and still be able to maneuver...

6. Kgee

Kgee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    MO/MS
    Artsy, If you love your bamboo hooks, you could try adding some foam grips or something like that. I've found that just having a larger handle really helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by