knitting or crocheting? with Carpel Tunnel

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by artsyrobin, Oct 31, 2009.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    hi guys, i have carpel tunnel and wondered which is easier on the hands, knitting or crocheting? i mostly crochet but have heard knitting is better and less damaging

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I loom knit. It doesn't seem to cause too much trouble.

3. Kgee

Kgee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    MO/MS
    Have you tried some ergonomic hooks? A larger crochet hook handle works wonders for crochet elbow. I got a set of hooks by ProvoCraft (big purple handles with interchangeable hooks, $20 @ WalMart) that I love. I wasn't going to quit hooking, so I had to come up with something to keep from crippling myself [​IMG]

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    My hands bother me a lot when i am crocheting but I don't know how to knit so all i do (just every so often) is I take an Advil and start again in about a 1/2 hour

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Will look for the provocraft- i did pick up some handeze gloves, at hobbylobby and they have helped some, i knit a little, but crocheting is my first choice... i have wooden bamboo hooks which i love, my hands go numb and eventually my wrist will start aching- i am a pet portrait artist, so i've got to figure a way to protect my hands and still be able to maneuver...

6. Kgee

Kgee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    MO/MS
    Artsy, If you love your bamboo hooks, you could try adding some foam grips or something like that. I've found that just having a larger handle really helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by