knives for procesing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by redneck, Jun 2, 2008.

1. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    Is there knives that anybody would recommend for processing poultry that could be purchased at Walmart?

2. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

I use kitchen shears... They work quite well.

3. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    I don't think it really matters as long as it's sharp so that the job is quick and the bird doesn't suffer.

4. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Will kitchen shears cut up a chicken easily? I used my kitchen shears with one I did last year and it was really hard to cut through all of that bone. Aren't there "poultry shears" out there that people use? I am also interested in hearing what kind of implements people use, either to skin, get or cut up the bird.

5. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    1. Heavy Duty Cleaver (not wal-mart junk)
    2. Fillet Knife
    3. Shears

For me the cleaver is great for dispatching and removing wings, legs/thighs. The fillet knife is great for getting the breasts and tenderloins. The shears I haven't used for cutting meat, but it's great for cutting the twine I use to shackle the bird.

6. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:Can you give me an example of a nice heave duty cleaver? I am so bad with knives, mine are always dull, and I don't really know which ones are for which job. Considering how much I am in the kitchen I really have no excuse [​IMG]

7. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
  8. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    I use a hatchet for dispatching and hunting/cleaning knives for the rest. A skinning knife and boning/fillet knife do most of the job really well. The most helpful thing is for whatever you use to be really sharp.

9. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd go with a fillet knife. That depends, of course on how you're killing and exactly what you're doing to the bird. If you're cutting the throat and then cutting the bird up or leaving it whole, you don't need anything heavy as you won't be cutting through any bones, so a sharp fillet knife will be perfect. However, if you're cutting off heads or cutting off breasts with ribs in, then you're going to need something heavier, like the hatchet and shears.

10. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    We use a Chinese cleaver like this .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by