knobbly eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Oscgrr, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Oscgrr

Oscgrr Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Please forgive me if this has already been a topic and has been answered. I've been getting an egg a day, nearly, that has been, well... deformed, kind of. I have ten hens and thay've all been laying since last October and their egg production is pretty consistent, I get between seven to ten eggs a day. Almost every day I get one egg with "warts" at the narrow end and the shell is rather thin. Sometimes, there's a portion of the shell so thin as to be almost missing and the membrane is visible. When I crack the egg, there are often tiny bubbles in the white. The deformed eggs don't smell bad and they don't float but I'm a little hesitant to eat them. They explode when hard-boiled so I just toss them.

I can't figure which hen is laying the deformed ones. I'm only certain that it's not the EE because she lays green eggs and the deformed ones are brown, actually kind of tan-ish in color.

Has anyone else experienced this and is it a sign of illness? Is there a treatment?

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I never have,but thought I would write something to bump this up,maybe someone will know [​IMG]

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll bump TOO. [​IMG]

4. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    You could try giving them some oyster shell or crushed egg shells to bump up the calcium level. [​IMG]

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Too little calcium, are you giving them Layer feed (the calcium's already in that), if not get a bag of oyseter shell from the feed store, and put some in a dish, they'll peck out what they need.

6. Oscgrr

Oscgrr Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Thanks for the bumps and replies. Yeah, they get layer feed. In fact, because it's garden season, they're confined to the run and coop. With the exception of the occasional treat, BOSS, and bag of lawn clippings, all they get is layer pellets. I first suspected a calcium deficiency but it's only one egg out of almost ten a day, all the others are fine. Maybe I should give them some oyster shell. How do you do that, do you crush it and mix it with the feed or do you put a dish of it in the run? I'll go to the beach later and collect some oyster shells. Do they have to be oyster? because we have plenty of quohog shells.

I'm not all that concerned, in the scheme of things it's really not a big deal, but I thought I'd see if there is some simple solution.

Thanks

7. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    I get those bumpy type eggs from some of my older RIR from time to time and other than the rough texture they are perfectly normal and safe to eat....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by