Knock, knock.... May we come in? (greetings and some photos)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dudu, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Dear all,

I am pleased to join your busy and highly informative forum and have already posted a thread regarding a problem that we have going on right now.

I just wanted to post an introduction also since it seems that I'll be hanging around chickens and their people from now on.

Me and my partner, to whom I owe my unexpected but very pleasant introduction to the world of poultry, live in Malta, a small country a little south of Sicily. (We're the last European country on the way to Africa and fighter jets landing for fuel on their way to Libya are not an uncommon sight (and sound!) these days here in our neck of the woods.) I am rather new to Malta as I am originally from Latvia, another EU country (located in Eastern Europe). I have been in the dog world for 22 years now (started early, LOL), training and showing gundogs (Weimaraners being my main interest). My partner on the other hand is a horse person and judges them as well as sheep, goats and livestock at the shows here. We also have a Pitbull and a rescue Pitbull/Bulmastiff mix, as well as rabbits. (On our third date or so we went to buy my lop/mixed breed rabbit which I had been waiting for for weeks, LOL.)

I first started going to my partner's little farm just to be near while he's feeding "the animals"; then one day he was working a very long shift and I offered to go by myself to give them some water, and the rest is history. I started helping him there regularly and..... soon after moving in I found myself a proud owner of three mystical creatures termed by a friend of mine "dinosaurs". All that only because I simply asked out of curiosity what breed those "black and white chickens" were running in our friend's yard. We returned home with three chickies (I almost wrote "puppies", do forgive!) of my own who I now adore.

These are Dudu (the boy) and Bindi and Shakti (the girls) when we got them:
    [​IMG]

Dudu sunbathing:
    [​IMG]

And Dudu 2 weeks ago (unfortunately I don't know their exact age but they've been with us since the beginning of June):
    [​IMG]

Shakti, who is like a kitten once you pick her up and hold her (I'm surprised she doesn't begin to purr, LOL):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bindi, the braver one of the sisters, always first in everything:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then 2 weeks ago we found two tiny ones in our yard, and since no mommy claimed them, we had to take them home with us and put them in a box. The light one was the first and then the next day the black one appeared. They are most amazing babies and somehow my intuition says they're girls, though I have NO idea of course. For now we named them Berta and Greta.
    [​IMG]

Berta:
    [​IMG]

Berta will sleep anywhere, especially inside your closed palm, into which she runs ever so fast as soon as she sees it ready for her. We joke that it is her "garage", LOL. Greta, the blackie, likes to lie down to sleep and loves to stretch herself out on the warm laptop keyboard. Since right now the air temperature is very high, we don't use a lamp for them or anything and they seem to be doing fine in their box.

These are Berta and Greta yesterday, a little more than 2 weeks old now:
    [​IMG]

"Say, Berta, how much CAN you sleep? Let's do something productive!"
    [​IMG]

With them I am learning just HOW markedly different their characters can be. They are truly "black" and "white", both very fun but each has her own totally different preferences and interests. I am ashamed to say I never thought chickens could have SO much personality and I am glad to be discovering it now, as it's so much fun. (But also a LOT of responsibility and concerns, as with all living beings.)

I will be posting photos of other members of the flock, there are more!

Glad to join and I hope to decrease my ignorance in chickens by being here and reading up which I already have started (even reading the glossary was educational enough for me, thanks to whoever compiled it!).

Irena

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    AWWWW so presh!! (precious)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] Pretty chicks! What kind are the black and white chickens?

4. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Thank you Iheartchicks<3[​IMG] and JulieNKC for the welcome!

The black and white ones are apparently a mix of something, I keep bugging their "breeder" to show me their parents every time we visit him, but they roam free on his farm, so I am not sure. I'd like to understand myself what they could possibly be, just out of curiosity.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    [​IMG] from NH, USA!

I just love your black and white birds! Can't say I've seen any quite like that over here in the States! Thanks for sharing, I hope you get some lovely eggs soon!

7. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Minnesota! Pretty birds. Enjoy!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Welcome to BYC! Great looking birds!! [​IMG]

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] I enjoyed the photos and the story! Do you know what breed those first chicks are?

10. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

Welcome aboard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by