knocking on the door

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchicks, Oct 23, 2008.

1. newchicks

newchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    I've had a crazy busy day today and I wasn't home for the better part of it. I got home at 3:00 ate lunch and was visiting with my Mom on the phone. My two girls were outside getting blown in the wind when I heard a tap tap tap at the back screen door. I said to my mom I think the girls are pecking on the door for a treat. I kept talking to Mom and the tapping getting going on. My dog and cat were staring at the back door, like what the heck is going on. So I told Mom that I needed to go because i thought the girls were demanding a treat. Sure enough I opened the door with some cherrios in hand and they looked at me like...well it's about time, our little beaks were getting tired. SMART???? DEFINITELY!!![​IMG]:gig:gig:cd:cd:cd i LOVE MY GIRLS:love:love

2. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Ours do that too !![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] It will scare you when you are the only one at home sometimes! Especially when you pull the curtain back and see a Black Jersey Giant staring right at you through the window!! AAAGGHHH!! Feed me !![​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Freaked my SO out the first time he heard the knocking and opened the door. Slammed it real quick and asked me "wth are your chickens doing knocking at the door?" I acted all blase' and said just throw em some bread, they'll go away.

4. newchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    I think it's so adorable and SMART of my girls to figure out how to get me out the door with treats, I'm just afraid that it could become a habit, and what if I'm not home and they are pecking away at the door and I don't come...oh sooo sad.[​IMG]

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Kind of makes me wish my chickens free ranged so they could come do freaky chicken things !!!!!!

They sound so cute !!!!!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  6. newchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    They are really really cute. I sometimes worry that I give them too many treats (eggs and cherrios, tomatos) but being free range the run around all the time. Usually chasing me for more treats.[​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ain't that the truth. I've had to learn to be sneaky when feeding the outside dog and the goat. If the chickens see me feed them they'll go and steal their food too.

8. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    You think chickens knocking at the door is freaky. We kept my daughters horse in our back paddock for awhile She would climb the back stairs and use her hoof to knock on the door when she wanted a carrot. Talk about freaky the first time she did it I thought the goats were ramming the door.lol

9. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Our girls haven't figured out to knock on the door, but they like to look in the windows. We have a small table sitting on our porch just outside the kitchen window, and it's not unusual to walk by and see a chicken staring in with puppy dog eyes asking for a treat. If they start knocking, I'm going to really be in trouble!

10. newchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    Oh:eek: wow, that was a smart smart horse, what fun to have a horse knocking at the back door, wanting treats. I love it!!!!! I can't wait to tell my daughter, we had horses till the last one just died in May at a great age of 30. That's when the chickens showed up..go figure that one. What's the horse's name?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by