Knockout roses

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by 3chickchicks, Nov 26, 2013.

1. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    I ordered some online since locally, I couldn't find healthy specimens in the color I wanted.

They are small. The containers they came in were 6" (max size) pots which I planted a week ago (here, they say it's better to plant them in the fall than the spring).

How do I tell if they're ready for the winter? We've had some dips to freezing weather. I've been covering them but I'm not sure if I should. I want them go to dormant but I don't want them to die either.

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. SweetSilver

SweetSilver Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind of temperatures are you talking about? We live in a mildish winter area where roses like to not go fully dormant, and they are fine, even when we get hit with cold weather. If it makes you feel happier (and I get that) surround the bases with straw, especially cover the graft, if there is one (there probably is) and stop worrying too much. They will be fine. Roses seem fancy-schmancy, but they are tough as nails, on the whole, and hard to kill.

3. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    We're in North Texas, too. -have planted roses in the fall and spring. I mulched a bit around the base when planted. -no trouble with freezing weather. Our knockouts are thriving and blooming profusely even after several freezes. Our tea roses and hybrid tea roses are also in full bloom still. I think the roses do very well in our climate with little to no fuss and care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by