Knot on Breast of Roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mumbelz Mayham, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Mumbelz Mayham

Mumbelz Mayham Chirping

Dec 1, 2017
    Chicago, IL
    So it was brought to my attention that my Bantam Roo has a knot in the middle of his chest. It's big and hard.
    I have noticed that recently he's been sleeping a lot and his color, redness, is fading around his eyes. He stays to himself. He also breathes roughly. His whole body moves as he sits and breathes. Is droppings watery and yellow. I gave him better bread. It firmed the stool yet still it is watery and yellow. I have also given vet RX, in the waterer. It still tends to stay down. He does still Crow strongly, but rarely.

Have you seen these symptoms?
    any helping suggestions / comments ?
    What's the knot on the breast?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

do you have a photo of the knot?

Maybe it is his crop? And he has a buildup of food in there that got hard and so can't move further along through his system. You should be able to Google crop problems and see if what he has sounds similar.

Good luck!

Mumbelz Mayham likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like a breast blister or abscess, which can be a sign of spending a lot of time on a rough roost or from lying on the ground, especially if there is moisture or soiled bedding. This can be seen in mycoplasma synovitis, a respiratory infection that also affects the joints.

Does he have any swelling in his ankles or hocks? I would clean his sore with betadine every day, and apply some triple antibiotic ointment. If it seems abscessed, you may want to lance it and drain.

I would also get some Tylan 50 injectable from your feed store, and give him ORALLY 0.2 ml per pound 2-3 times a day for 5 days. How much does he weigh? If his feed does not have probiotics on the label, then give him 1 tsp of plain yogurt mixed into some wet feed once a day.

Mumbelz Mayham likes this.
  4. Mumbelz Mayham

Mumbelz Mayham Chirping

Dec 1, 2017
    Chicago, IL
    Your a life saver! Thanks for the knowledge.
    #BirdsOf'aFeatherStickTogether

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: