1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Know any good party games? Halloween themed?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by fowltemptress, Sep 2, 2009.

1. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Only 59 days until Halloween!

Okay, yeah, it's early, but if the truth must be known I was screaming in excitement about it to my family and friends way back in June. I don't even know why I like it so much . . . well, okay, I do have a list of reasons. The time of year is perfect, it's not a stressful holiday which you have to make huge plans for, unlike Christmas and other holidays you aren't made the center of attention while opening gifts or something, or if you want attention you can garner it anonymously while in costume, dressing up is always fun, and Jack o lanterns are about the coolest things ever . . . but that doesn't explain my near obsession with it. I never even liked candy! [​IMG] Any other Halloween lovers out there?

This year I'll be gathering up as much Halloween decorations as I can on Craigslist, Freecycle, etc, because in 2010 I'm planning a Hallowedding. I've put this wedding off for years now, each year had a different excuse. It was definitely supposed to be this year, but then my SO got a new job and job stuff keeps him busy all of October, so 2010 will be the year of no excuses. I know it's a bit early to talk about it, but I figure if I type it down here I'll have witnesses, and I won't be able to back out again.

The interesting bit about the wedding is that my SO and I are already married, but no one in our families knows it. I've a terrible phobia of being the center of attention, so it gave me some time to get used to the idea of being noticed by getting married WAAAAY before the actual wedding . . . which is one reason the darn thing has been planned and abandoned so many years in a row. This is the first year that I've actually had a legitimate excuse for putting it off again. When I first heard of Halloweddings, I thought it was a great way to calm me down, because there is nothing that I have longed for more than to throw a spectacular Halloween party.

I know people usually just talk and dance at wedding receptions, but I'm a huge game nut and I want games! Does anyone have any good ones up their sleeves? I'm not a social person (at all), so my store of knowledge on such matters is quite limited. I did find an excellent winking murderer game on another forum that I'm dying to try. I want to do the chicken poop gamble (where people buy numbered squares, and the person who bought the square the chicken poops on first gets all the money). <-----There, just to make this post more chicken related, since I always feel bad if I post something on a chicken forum that has nothing to do with chickens. And bobbing for apples . . . that's three games, but the apple bobbing is more for show as a staple of Halloween set ups, and the winking murderer and chicken pooping thing is so non time consuming that I'd love to fit in a couple more good games. This forum is about a thousand times bigger than the Halloween forums I've found, so I figured I'd cast out a net here and see what comes up. Anyone who's been on here at all knows there's plenty of ingenuity in the minds of BYCers. [​IMG]

Sorry if this post disjointed or overly excited sounding, if there can be such a thing. I'm still worked up after having found an awesome decoration at Goodwill this morning. I'm now the proud owner of a 10 foot tall grotesque . . . thing. The lady who checked my SO out said she couldn't imagine anyone would actually want something so ugly. Ain't Halloween grand? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    - pass the apple game, hold the apple under your chin and pass it to your partner under their chin.

- of course musical chairs

- buddy balloon pops, again need parners they have to pop a ballon, not with hands but by smashing it betwen them, sitting on it, whatever they just can't use their hands.

Good luck and hey vote on my christmas gatherings game thread on here too.

3. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Many moons ago, my aunt threw a Halloween party, and the guests were to dress up as LOVERS IN HISTORY. My Dad dressed up like a sheik, and my mom and us three girls were his harem. There was a woman dressed as Catherine the great, and her SO was dressed as a horse. There was a guy who was alone, and he was dressed as a Hell's Angel. My aunt was the Bride of Frankenstein, and her SO was Frankenstein.

Well, everyone was STUNNED when the Hell's Angel biker brought out a bible and started marrying Frank to the Bride of Frank, and about halfway through it, everyone realized it was bona fide.

We were the only ones in on it because we had to fly in for the wedding.

With this 'surprise' wedding, there were none of the traditional wedding things that are really annoying/expensive, like the dinner the night before (for the wedding party) that costs a fortune. There are no bridesmaids and best men and dying shoes to match. No rental of tuxes and cummerbunds. No fittings of wedding dresses. No flowers that cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars. No money spent on wedding etiquette books. Blah, blah, blah. No sitting around while everyone watches you open presents. No wedding dance.

It is THE most memorable and exciting wedding I've ever been to, including my own. I too was already married when we had the 'public' wedding. I still don't remember my wedding date because of this. If I could do it all over again, I'd do the Halloween thing. I, like you, do NOT like being the center of attention. But if I were dressed in costume, I might better tolerate being in front of the crowd reading vows.

4. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Last Night On Earth! Awesome, awesome boardgame.

http://www.flyingfrog.net/lastnightonearth/

My friends and I try to play once a month and we're planning a big Halloween game this year. It plays just like a movie and has many different scenarios including its' own soundtrack CD.

6. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Eggs4sale that is totally awesome! [​IMG]

Halloween is my favorite holiday, and I always do the kids a big Halloween breakfast...witch's fingers (sausage links), monkey brains (scrambled cheesy eggs with red food coloring) and swamp juice (orange juice with green food coloring)

You can go to Orientaltrading.com for some decorating ideas and party favors. They have some really cool things. There are tons of great decorating websites, too. A friend of mine always does a haunted house out of that black visquine stuff in her back yard and has strobe lights and everything. You can also do a red velvet wedding cake.

There are so many cool things to do! I would have loved to have done something like that, but DH isn't into Halloween, so we did a huge BBQ the week before. That was fun, but yours sounds way cooler!

Congrats!

Shelly

7. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Thanks, guys. Ol'FashionHen, I replied in your thread. I think I'll do a variation on the popping the balloon idea you had. Maybe instead of being a team, each person has their own balloon and they have to try and pop the other person's balloon first . . . what do you think? Now that you've mentioned it, I absolutely must have ballon poppage in som form at my Hallowedding!

Eggs4Sale, I love that story. I wish I could just spring a surprise wedding on guests like that, but with my SO's family all over the U.S. we'd need to make sure they'd come. That would be a lot of people in on the secret. What a wonderful memory.

bluey, my weakness is board games, and I have the misfortune to have been born into an anti board game family. [​IMG] I am always on the lookout for great board games, though, and I'll be looking into your suggestion.

sred98, I am totally making that breakfast this year! No kids here, but who says two adults can't enjoy a ghoulish breakfast as much as any child? [​IMG] Oh, and next time y'all do a BBQ before Halloween, serve the meat inside a skeleton so guests can help themselves by digging into a corpse. Maybe your DH won't notice the added touch of Halloween to the celebration. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  8. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Yeah, I'm kinda mean when it comes to Scattergories. Maybe that's why nobody here likes to play board games with me. Hmmmm.....

9. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Oooh! I love the BBQ idea! I am totally doing that! DH isn't anti-Halloween...he just groans and rolls his eyes a lot! LOL! Luckily, my kids love it, and my grown daughter has already got the baby 3 Halloween outfits! LOL!

The breakfast is great! There was a few years that my youngest decided maybe it was really monkey brains, and would just pick at the eggs. [​IMG] Also, one year I made Troll Toes to go with the breakfast. You take the croissants in the can and roll them up kind of wide and stubby, put an almond slice on the end, and bake. That way you can have your bread, too! The kids really liked that one! [​IMG]

Shelly

10. Luvin Life

Luvin Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    I usually decorate boxes, cut a hole in the center of a shoe box,
    large enough to stick your hand in to feel what gross things lie beneath the covered box. Have guests guess what food it is and what it's supposed to be.

Cold spaghetti w/ peeled grapes = intestines with eyeballs.
    Put oil on the spag. so it doesn't stick.

That's just one example. You could use pumpkins instead of boxes. Use pumpkin goo for other ideas. I'd have to get my planner out for more ideas, I'm drawing a blank.

Oh dried ice with frozen hands in the punch.

We have a Halloween party every year. My favorite holiday, also all 3 of my kids b-days are in October.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by