Know anything about incubators?

NiftyChick

Songster
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
California
Hi! I saw this Chicken Incubator on craigslist for $5. It's mine if I want it, but I really know nothing about incubators (nor does the person selling it).
hmm.png

Does this look useful? Is it really an incubator for hatching eggs?

0101110102030103032007052896576611aafe20d47f00a946.jpg

010109010208010406200705287e9d235a028ed9102500d969.jpg

Thanks for your help!!

-Emily

Wow!!! Is that home made or old skewl?!?! I see the element has left a mark on one side. Seems there *may* be some sort of holes for ventilation, check. It's definately a bit different. Might be interesting.

That's old school. I've seen those before but don't know much about them. Those are the cheap ones they used to sell before the plastic and styrofoam cheap ones.

For $5 what's to lose? Search around the web and see if you can figure out how it was used. Get a thermometer and see how well it regulates. If it doesn't work out you can always sell it to an antique store for $30.
roll.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like a Brower to me. I have one here that I bought for emergency backup about 1997. They sold for about $160.00 at that time. They have a much bigger element than the LG or hova. 125 watt I believe.

I think it might be missing it's top? Seems like the piece on the right is the ring with the egg rack and the one on the left is the bottom heat element... or maybe the piece on the right is the bottom and the piece with the element goes on top?
roll.png
LOL, I have no idea what I'm talking about -I've only seen these kind on ebay and they were always shown in the shut/operating mode. So who knows, could be interesting! Too bad it doesn't have a window though.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yup, I did a search on E-bay and there several like that on there. I thought they were older than that though. Doesn't look like $160 worth. The newer Brower tubs don't even sell for that much.

Yup $160.00 in 1997 Mine still has the price tags on it. With the big element and the double metal walls they hold heat better than the hova. So you can use them in a much cooler enviroment. The metal acts as a heat sink so they don't fluctuate as quickly unless the sun gets on them then they will overheat. Only thing I had against it was there is no way to put a turner in it.

For some reason I always got better duck egg hatches out of it than the Hova or LG.

Used a sportsman for years and recently moved up to a new Brinsea Ova Easy. It beats the sportman hands down and is cheaper too!

I'm using one right now. We had it when I was a kid (don't ask how many decades that's been). I'm having real problems controlling temps, lost first batch, think I'm going to lose second batch. Between temp swings/probably needs new thermostat (too cheap to buy one--not sure where I could find one) and my job, haven't had time(patience) to fine tune it.

Let us know how you get along and yes for $5, it's a steal, if you don't want it, send it to Indiana.

Back
Top Bottom