Know I gotta, but I don't wanna - my polish crests *PICS* added

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Jun 24, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It has become painfully obvious (painful for them anyhow) that it's time to cut my baby polish crests. They are 7 weeks old, their poofs are nice and full - enough that I can tell I have one boy, one girl [​IMG] and they are freakin' adorable! However, they are running into things, bumping their poor little heads (I try not to laugh, but...). Tonight one got left out of the coop, I think because he "Luna" couldn't see to find the pop door.

I've been putting it off by reasoning that they are still with their broody hen and they take their audible cues from her, but it's time.

I just hate to do it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah, polish are well known for their lack of coordination. Just trim around the eyes and they should be fine. [​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Well they will get haircuts today. [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Before and after pics, please? [​IMG]

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you tried making a 'vet-wrap hair-tie' for them? Mine never kept them on but some people have had success.

You don't have to cut off very much at all. I doubt you'll even notice a huge difference. And I found that by the next time they molt them all back, they already know where everything is.

Haven't had to trim crests in years! Good luck! [​IMG]

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Now that ought to be fun!! [​IMG] I have to trim around my Yorkies eyes and that's just a blast!! [​IMG]

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Hey Gritty,

I have a great barber, but he doesn't do chicks. [​IMG]

Impy

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Hey Gritty,

I have a great barber, but he doesn't do chicks. [​IMG]

Impy

Do you know Imp, that as much as I love you, you are about as useful as screened doors on a submarine? [​IMG]

BTW, have you gotten yourself a few polish yet? They are the sweetest little things! [​IMG]

And OH! How I can know that what you are telling me about your great barber is true, when I haven't seen pictureproof YET?!?

Princess, thanks for the idea about the vet wrap. I'll certainly give that a try first. I'm out (used it all up on Doe) but I'll pick some up at the store while we are in town. I've given Jethro and Ellie Mae (the silkies) haircuts, but their poofs weren't quite as cute as Luna's and Star's are.

Ranchy, just for you I'll make Keith take pics.

*Gritty mumbles to herself, first I have to ask the man to help give chicken haircuts, now she wants pics! I think she's trying to get me killed or at the very least, divorced*

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  10. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i've heard of people who tie up thier polish's crests with like a hairband instead of cutting them lol you should try it [​IMG]

BTW i would still want pics [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by