Know it's been asked before - dogs and eggs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Jan 1, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I know I saw a thread about it awhile back, but a search didn't turn it up.

How many raw eggs can a dog have a week?
    Jax used to dislike eggs, but he's suddenly developed a taste for them and I have plenty to give him.
    Is one raw egg a day too much? Will it make his food too rich since I also give him salmon oil daily?

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Mine usually get one a day. They love them! I toss the dirty ones into the back yard for them and the greedy pig dogs gobble them up shell and all.
    Go for it. It'll make Jax's coat shiny! [​IMG]

3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    one egg a day has helped our allergic pug's coat out IMMENSLEY. She used to look like a pug-shaped beet.

4. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    1 a day is fine.
    We do every other day here. 2 have no problems munching on the shell the other has to have it hidden.

5. Grace

Grace Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    I was on te edge with this issue for awhile but I believe feeding the whole egg yolk included is safe, I even add the shells. I would never feed just egg whites though as egg whites contain a high level of avidin. Avidin is a protein that binds biotin. I was worried about creating a biotin deficiency in my dogs, however after some practical research I found that the yolk contains sufficient amounts of biotin to counter act the effect of the whites. So it seems that it is safe to feed raw eggs on a regular basis, just never plain egg whites for extended periods of time and cooking the eggs destorys the avidin so their is no worries on egg whites when the eggs are cooked.
    This site has a good paragraph on the subject: http://www.bcrescue.org/eggs.html
    My
    dogs loooove their eggs![​IMG] I don't do them daily but I don't think their is harm in a daily dose just depends on the dog.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Jax's coat is already super shiny, thanks in part to the salmon oil. I just want to treat him to the eggs because he likes them alot. [​IMG]

7. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

My dogs sneak in the bird yard and steal the eggs I've collected. They eat them - shell and all.

8. carabar

carabar Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Munfordville, KY
    My dog is doing well with being around our chickens, which was a real concern for us in the beginning. She actually helped find one that had gotten out of the coup a few days ago. My concern with feeding her the eggs would be starting her on the road to eating my eggs as I gather them. So far she has not touched them even when they have been set down within her reach which has happened often as she always goes with us to feed. I am beginning to think visiting the chickens is close to the top of her favorite things to do. Interested to know if anyone has encountered this problem after feeding your dogs eggs.

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I quit giving my dog eggs since it seemed to make it impossible to sit next to her and still breath.

10. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by