Know not a thing about ducks but...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hennyhandler, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    i have heard of dabbling ducks and diving ones. Which one would be more comfortable in a enclosed area with a kiddie pool type pond. i don't have ducks but I have chickens and i just got curious about ducks and was wondering. If you could reccomend a kind of duck that would be great. I would love to see one that had that call that you typically think of when you hear the word "duck" [​IMG] if you know what I mean and a tad smaller of a bird. Just whatever you think as I don't know a thing in this department. [​IMG]

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    If you want something that makes a nice quack then that marks out Muscovies.They have a really sweet cooing noise. And if you want a smaller bird then that marks out Rouens, Pekins, and possibly magpies. DO you want something compact size or standard sized? All ducks with dabble and dive, It just depents on what size you want, if you want eggs or meat, breeders or just pets, and if you want color and if you care if it flys or not.

Standard sizes that Quack :
    Buff
    Cayuga
    Swedes
    mallard
    khaki campbells
    runners

Small ducks:
    Calls

There are other breeds but I think you might need to give us a little more information , lol

3. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I want them as pets, and for eggs (it's okay if they are dual but I will only use for eggs). I don't think I want them to fly alot since they will always be in a run. I guess if they do a little it would be okay but not to where they attempt to fly out every time I open the door. [​IMG] I don't want black and white but any other color I think would be okay. If you give me some ideas and maybe pics i could decide or look them up myself. I just can't even get it narrowed down to neccesity.

4. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    They're not tiny ducks, but if you account for how skinny they are, runners are small, come in all sorts of fun colors and lay like crazy. The comical factor of bowling-pin ducks is great, too.

Otherwise, look into calls. They don't lay as well from what people say here, but they're small, come in many colors and look like rubber duckies. [​IMG]

5. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well then -

Buff -
    Kinda loud but very comical, sweet little things too. Lay LARGE green eggs.
    [​IMG]

Runners -
    Also great layers, come in all sorts of colors, and are laying machines. Dont really fly at all.

[​IMG]

Swedes -
    Come in black, blue, and splash. I find these guys to be really sweet as well. They are kinda quiet - but ive only had a few and cant really remember.

There are plenty of people on here with call ducks, but i dont have any. They are really cute, half the size of standard sized ducks and come is different colors.

There are also Welsh Harlequins , Saxonys, Khaki campbells, snowy mallards, mallards, and Anconas that would fit what you want. I'm sure there are other breeds as well but these are the ones ive had before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by