1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Knowing some Options on Quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by deb12, Jan 22, 2013.

1. deb12

deb12 New Egg

Jan 22, 2013
    Hi Everyone,

I have not gone out to get some quail's as of yet, but would like to know some options on caring and tending to them.

First off, I would like them for pets and breeding is not something I would like to do, how can you discourage it if you need to get a male?

Second, how is a very large plastic bottomed cage verses a glass tank, please share all ideas with this one.

Third, how hard is it to raise them as pets and does anyone know the best food list for them?

Thank you,
    Debbie

2. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    Welcome to BYC. I think the type of quail your looking for is button quail.

3. deb12

deb12 New Egg

Jan 22, 2013
    Correct a button quail, where is the best place to find info on them and feeding and such?

Thank you

4. marilyn1

marilyn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    [​IMG]I like glass tanks for the viewing. For 2 quail a 40 gallon breeder tank or a 29 gallon tank works fine. they are both about 16 inches tall which helps with the boning thing. (flying up). The 40 is 36 x 18. and the 29 is 30 x 12 . I use a thin layer of sand on bottom and pine chips over that. They can dust bath in the sand. A small animal cage that is about 30 x 16 with close wire (rat cage) works fine it has the plastic bottom more ventilation then tanks, but view is not as good. If you keep tanks clean there is no problem using tanks. I use a full spectrum bulb to light it with little heat acts like natural sun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. marilyn1

marilyn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    You can keep 2 boys together or 2 girls together with girls there will be eggs not fertile With boys no eggs to deal with. I have 2 boys together in one cage and a pair together in another no problems with either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by