Ko Shamo wont stop picking @ injured toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kadjain, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

About a week ago I notice my Ko Shamo pullet injured one of her middle toes. She must have got it stuck in something and broke it but also tore the scales up and was bleeding quite a bit from it. I secluded her in a smaller pen and was cleaning it but have stopped cleaning it because after I would she would pick the heck out of it until it was bleeding again.
    When she tries to put it down she still falls over so I put her in a smaller cage today to reduce her movement even more but I do not know what else I can do for her. I mainly just want her to stop picking at it. One of my O Shamo pullets hurt her foot and it has taken a while but she can use it again but it was never a bloody mess like this Ko Shamo's foot is.
    Is there anything I can put on her foot to stop her from picking at it? I've heard of people putting DE in cuts to stop bleeding but I doubt it would not stop her from picking it out and making it bleed again.

Thanks

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I had a problem with a hen pulling her scales off her feet and toes. I took a chance and sprayed the entire foot with blu-kote. She did not like the taste of that stuff and stopped picking her scales. I also found that Hot Pick and Pik No More also worked well. Just apply these things often until the area is healed. :)

3. Kadjain

Coolness, thanks!

4. Kadjain

I got the "Rooster Booster" pick-no-more lotion. When I started cleaning her foot off I saw she had picked it to the bone in a couple places. I put the lotion on her foot and she is going right through it and still violently picking at her foot. It looks like she is trying to tear her foot off...
    I'm thinking of putting her body in a bag and leaving her head out so she can't get to her feet at all...Is this too extreme?

5. Kadjain

?? ?

6. Kadjain

I made her a long t-shirt out of a piece of thermal underwear leg. I cut out wing holes and it's long enough to cover her feet but she can still kinda get up and walk around in it. I guess I'm gunna keep her in this t-shirt inside putting ointment on her foot until it heals.
    She is spangled Ko Shamo by the way. Isn't she cute? She's so good just like a little patient letting me operate on her.
    [​IMG]

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Poor dear. Well, what ever you have to do. Maybe even an Elizabethan collar, like they use on cats and dogs to stop them from licking and biting at sores. If you can get her to break the habit and the wound heals, she should be fine. What a sweet heart.

8. Kadjain

OK, she's gone nuts and is now trying to pick at any part of her body she can get to it seems. She is picking her wing feathers and even trying to bend her neck enough to get at her neck feathers. I cut the wing holes out after I found her on her back not able to get up but it looks like super extreme measures might have to be taken.
    Gosh, I hope I don't have to start using super duper extreme measures.. .[​IMG]

I thought about the Elizabethan collar after I saw some very small ones at the feed store. I might go back and see if that will work.

9. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You might want to keep this bird in a semi darkened area to calm her down. Sounds like she is very stressed about what ever is bothering her. The darkened area may calm her nerves.

10. Kadjain

I've been keeping her cage covered to keep it dark. It seems she has calmed down and is not trying to eat herself anymore. I'm still keeping her in the shirt until her foot is fully healed. It looked a lot better today.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by