Korean Sauna Eggs

Jimin

Songster
Feb 8, 2019
Okay, plebeians. When my sister and I first went to a South Korean convenient store, we tried making ramen there. We wanted to add eggs and grabbed the first ones we saw. They were really expensive like $3 for a pack of two but we didn’t care we just thought they were raw eggs... we were wrong. The egg “whites” were dark brown and the taste was really nutty (it didn’t taste like an egg).

They were Korean sauna eggs. Bought them in packs of 30... ate them everyday on my way to my unnecessarily prestigious *cough* depressing school. Irrelevant. Started craving them when I came back to the states.

Ingredients:
-a bunch of eggs (6-23 depending on the size)
-water
-salt
-optional: vinegar

1. Place eggs into a rice cooker, slow cooker works too, or pressure cooker.

2. Dissolve salt into water. Add salted water to cooker until eggs are 3/4 covered.
*you can add a spoon of vinegar to get rid of the egg smell?? I don’t know, I just read it on a blog

3. Cook for 80 minutes for every 6 eggs depending on your cooker and how many eggs you have on the lowest temperature possible.

4. Play rock, paper, scissors with your friend and winner gets to smash the egg on the loser’s forehead. Peel (they’re a little hard to peel, it’s normal). Eat. Repeat.

55C99337-96DD-486E-BF4E-8FE6AE3CAAC4.png

Okay, plebeians. When my sister and I first went to a South Korean convenient store, we tried making ramen there. We wanted to add eggs and grabbed the first ones we saw. They were really expensive like $3 for a pack of two but we didn’t care we just thought they were raw eggs... we were wrong. The egg “whites” were dark brown and the taste was really nutty (it didn’t taste like an egg).

They were Korean sauna eggs. Bought them in packs of 30... ate them everyday on my way to my unnecessarily prestigious *cough* depressing school. Irrelevant. Started craving them when I came back to the states.

Ingredients:
-a bunch of eggs (6-23 depending on the size)
-water
-salt
-optional: vinegar

1. Place eggs into a rice cooker, slow cooker works too, or pressure cooker.

2. Dissolve salt into water. Add salted water to cooker until eggs are 3/4 covered.
*you can add a spoon of vinegar to get rid of the egg smell?? I don’t know, I just read it on a blog

3. Cook for 80 minutes for every 6 eggs depending on your cooker and how many eggs you have on the lowest temperature possible.

4. Play rock, paper, scissors with your friend and winner gets to smash the egg on the loser’s forehead. Peel (they’re a little hard to peel, it’s normal). Eat. Repeat.

View attachment 2069087
It is the unique cooking phase that makes the egg white orange! ... Egg whites in Korean eggs turn brown because they have been cooked for a long time under high pressure. as a note. I love the taste. :D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom