1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Kosher and Halal slaughter

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by evergreen1, Dec 19, 2012.

1. evergreen1

evergreen1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    what's the difference between kosher and halal slaughter? has any of you folks used these methods?

2. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    we have a friend who says that before halal you just say a blessing...

3. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    kosher and hallal both involve slaughter by draining blood from the animal being slaughtered, and not by chopping its head off, or beating it to death. prayers are said by the person slaug
    htering, muslems say over each animal, the jewish rabbie says it once.rabbis check the organs of teh animal for parasites, flaws, growths etc, and if any imperfection is found, teh animal is declared not kosher. therefore a chicken with a broken leg will not be sold as kosher. kosher meat is salted inside and out. in general, hallal and kosher serve teh same purpose for someone who is not orthodox jewish: the animal was slaughterd in a specific fashion. howver, a jew will not eat a kosher style slaughtered animal if slaughtered by non jews or w/o a rabbi present. certain cuts of meat are considered not kosher. personally, living in a country which is only kosher or hallal, i prefer neither. too salty.and too expensive. and the meat is always drier..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by