Kozy Orchard Cuties(Pics and Stories of My Progress With The New Flock!)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Sumatra503, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    I have recently started a new flock of chickens, so I have decided to start a thread for my new flock. I will be updating as I go with pics and stories of my progress with the new flock.

Here are some pics of the new birds:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Partridge wyandott

Buff columbian D'uccles pair

[​IMG]
    D'uccle cross pair

[​IMG]
    Bantam black favorelles cross

[​IMG]
    Beaky, I took him in as a pet. He has a mild case of cross beak.
    [​IMG]
    Minie, blue laced seabright cross

[​IMG]
    Red Pyle OEGB Roo

[​IMG]
    Silkie Hen

2. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Really liking your flock, and that you don't mind crosses. I have pure breeds, but some of my crosses are the prettiest!! Pretty D'Uccles.[​IMG] Have fun with your new project..

3. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    Thank you! I'm loving them so far! I really like the d'uccles , too, but they are little turd butts.

I am planning a couple of breeding projects as well. I'm thinking that a silkie/favorelle might be adorable! Or a Serama/cochin!

I am also trying a couple of new things with this flock i have not tried before. For instance, my bedding in the coop right now is 2" of organic, clay cat litter. It is working great so far. The chickens don't eat it and it absorbs all the moisture and odor really well.

4. Gardeningmama

Funny you said that, I was just reading about sand yesterday. I used to think the idea was crazy, but to be honest, the lady that wrote the article almost has me convinced. Many more pros than cons, kind of the same principle as cat litter.
    BTW- Serama/D'Uccle crosses are adorable, and unpredictable. Like Cracker Jacks, a prize in every egg!LOL!!

5. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    Thanks for the cute advice! D'uccles/serama does sound adorable!

Treated the flock with horse wormer paste today. It is something I have been doing for awhilenow and it works great for lice, mites, northern fowl mite, and of course worms. It can last for 6 months or longer and is really easy to use. Just give each bird a pea sized glob by mouth and treat again in 7-10days. Hold off eating eggs for 14 days, but if you have breeding flock and don't eat the eggs anyway, or your hens are on a winter break, then it doesn't matter anyway.

6. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    Today I started everybody on a 10 treatment of Sulmet. I do this anyway with new birds, but have seen some runny, bloody poo in the younger birds lately, so they are all getting treated. Sulmet is a sulfa based drug used in the treatment of Coccidiosis, Coryza, and other diseases of this nature. It is harmless to the birds, too.

[​IMG]
    Also got a purse to carry Beaky around in. Well, Beaky and the other cuties in the flock. I took Beaky to the feedstore with me and he helped me pick out the chicken feed for all his buddies.

7. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    Everyone is doing great and drinking the Sulmet just fine. I have begun to pick out the individual personalities of the birds and am starting to pick out names for them, too! I'm really happy with all my birds and I am really loving my new flock!

8. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    Went to a poultry swap on Saturday and got a few new birds. I have a new Appenzeller hen and a Naed necked hen. Also a few more chicks, 3 black tailed buff japanese bantams and a frizzled cochin cockeral for my Frizzled Naked Neck project.

I got my first egg today, too!!!! I believe it is a Naked neck egg, so that means my naked neck project is on it's way!

9. Gardeningmama

[​IMG]YAY!!![​IMG]

10. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    I am absolutely sick!!!

I attended a poultry swap last saturday. One of the people attending the swap had brought some birds that later got sick and a few have died. He was right next to me, so guess what...My birds are now sick, too!

The symptoms turned up 4 days ago and I have since lost 10 birds. 3 were 12 week old chicks. The rest were adult birds. 4 of them I had to put down, as they were obviously not going to make it.

Another person who had this same thing happen has sent in a dead bird for testing, so we'll know soon what it is and how best to treat it. Until then I am just waiting it out and praying.

And the next person to tell me chickens are throw away animals and I should kill them and move on...You are getting A** beat to a bloody pulp!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by