Kraizy Daisy the goat thinks she's a CAT!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sunnychooks, May 9, 2009.

1. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I have a 2 year old Alpine named Daisy that has a habit of rubbing her head against people like a cat would. She doesn't do this hard and she uses the sides of her face so it's not like butting at all. She has no parasites and her skin is healthy. She's been doing this since she was a baby. It used to be cute, then it was funny, now it's kind of annoying (and I say that with love in my heart [​IMG] ).

Lately, her new thing is coming up behind someone and "goosing" them. She sticks her head between someone's legs or in their butt. Depending on who she does this to it could be pretty funny or really embarrassing!

Does anyone else have a goat that does this? Does it mean something in "goat" that we just don't know?
    Other than this, she's the sweetest, most sociable and friendliest goat we have. She loves people (maybe a little too much)!

2. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Well...it's discouraged as younglings because it can lead to aggression. But, since she's older, it's probably not going to turn ugly. However, do not in any way reward her for it. We have a wether who does that, although he is so tall that he doesn't goose people! He just chews on the strings on their clothes. And leans on them. And burps in their faces...

3. sunnychooks

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Since this was rubbing with the side of her face we didn't really associate it with butting. She was always very gentle and still is. And we never petted her on the head - only on the side of her neck. Do you think this is where she got into the habit (I just thought of that)?
    Daisy leans on people just like your guy, but she doesn't burp in their faces! [​IMG] He sounds like a real charactor! [​IMG]

4. chels23

chels23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    S.E Kansas
    I have a boer doe that does the same thing. She will walk up to me and rub the sides of her face against my legs. I don't really mind because I figure that her face itches and she doesn't have hands to itch it. I would hate it if I had an itch I couldn't scratch. Sometimes she just wants me to scratch under her chin. It is annoying when she has something on her face and rubs it on my pants. If I don't want her messing with me I walk away when she tries and she leaves me alone.

5. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    I have several does who do this - they want attention, love and pats, and if you arent going to pat them, they will do it themself!

If you dont want her to do it, smack her smartly on the nose/muzzle; she will learn that it is not wanted but that she needs to wait patiently for you to pat her.

But honestly, mine are mature enough not to do it too hard/rough, so I dont worry about it too much.

6. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Mine do this also and sometimes its just to wipe off their faces after eating. They hate anything stuck to their noses. I let mine rub away as they all are nice and dont butt anyone except each other to say "HI" I have La Manchas and sometimes when they rub its around tehir ears and that is a sign to check and see if their little ears might be infected. Also sometimes when they do this it might be mites or lice making them itch or just dry skin since winter is over and a good scratch is needed. Mine love their ears scratched and I do pet mine on the heads and scratch where they need it. A good curry comb/brush will help alot, just go easy around the boney areas.

7. sunnychooks

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    It's good to see she's not the only one!
    Chatychick, I usually brush them when they're on the milking stand. They love this. It's relaxing for me, too!
    I never worried about it because she's so gentle, but this "goosing" thing is new.
    I guess she just needed some variation to her technique! [​IMG]

8. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    I think it is adorable that your doe shows affection [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by