KS family, with chickens oh my!

sruthmitchell

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 29, 2014
we purchased 6 birds today, 3 roosters and 3 laying hens. My husband grew up on a farm and we are embarking. On a journey of our own on acreage for our kids. We have a great coop, contained, safe, good free range area...pointers to get started are welcome. They came from a backyard and now have a field :). Thank you in advance

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for kids. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. One thing I would seriously advise is to get rid of a couple of those roosters and pick up about 7 more hens. The recommend rooster to hen ratio is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature, those roosters are going to become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in correcting your rooster to hen imbalance.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your new chickens! You might like to check out the BYC Learning Center, lots of good articles on all aspects of chicken keeping you'll find helpful with your new flock. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center X3, the usual recommended ratio is around ten hens per rooster or the hens tend to get overmated.

Im sorry that was rude of me welcome to byc! :)congrats to your family about your flock:)

Last edited:
Egads. Husband is going to a friends house tomorrow and talking about roosters! We will be downsizing those this weekend.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

X4 on all the others posters here. Definitely rehome some of those boys! :)

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom