1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ks-Sate Fair ready-to-cook poultry judging, exposed skin question.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KansasKid, Sep 16, 2010.

1. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I have read the poultry judging book and took the practices on website and both seem have different standards when it comes to the grade of a carcass when there is tear/trim/cut (exposed flesh). So if there is exposed flesh on the breast is that a downgrade? and if so a b grade carcass is allowed to have up to 1/3 flesh exposed, right? and a c grade is anything more than 1/3, right?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Sorry no one has been able to answer you yet. Have you checked with your extension agent or with the poultry or meat dept. at K-State? http://www.asi.ksu.edu/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=269 http://www.asi.ksu.edu/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=651&tabid=229

The
    Poultry Dept. has always been really helpful and explained things to me, no matter the question. I know Dr. Beyer was at the fair last Saturday, because I talked to him. Even if he's not in, his secretary can usually get an answer back from him within a day. If they don't know the answer, they can probably tell you who will. Good luck with your 1st time judging.

3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    You might try posting this in the meat birds thread if you havn't already. Seems with a lot of people over there butchering someone might know about the showmanship part of the practice. I learned how to process my birds by reading posts over there.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by