Kudos to Brinsea

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by halo, Sep 24, 2010.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Ive been incubating and hatching in my Genesis 1588's....one for incubating, one for hatching. The one for incubating is terrific, its been on nearly non-stop for 18 months, and never misses a beat, never wavers on its temps. Its really great...holds a load of eggs too. But when it comes to hatching, its a mess. Doesnt hold humidity well, and its awful to clean. Cant ever get the styrofoam really clean, it stains, its cumbersome, just a mess.

I decided to buy something else for hatching, and looked and looked and looked. Finally settled on a Brinsea Octagon 20. Ive had 3 hatches so far, and its wonderful. Extremely easy to clean, and cleans up to look just like new. I really love it. Highly recommend it.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, I just love my Brinsea Mini Advance and Mini Advance EX models! I was brand new to incubating two months ago and now I'm hooked. I needed a nearly fool-proof incubator, and Brinsea supplied it! I'm considering making the jump to the Octagon 20...

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Have my second batch of eggs in my Brinsea Mini Advance now. The first batch was a failure. I realized a few days shy of hatch that the fan was not working properly -- eggs were actually cold to the touch over the two days I checked. They sent a return label. Returned the incubator, which they repaired, then returned to me. Whew! So, I now have a very late batch of babies going to hatch. (We have temps expected this weekend that will be in the 40s at night. Brrrrr. That reminds me. I need to move my older babies to the basement before then! I don't want them chilled.)

I accidentally nicked one egg in the incubator and put a big dent in it yesterday. I doubt that one will hatch. I smeared it with a couple of coats of white glue over that area, and put it back in, just in case. It may get lucky, but I doubt it. I have 15 eggs in right now, with a 12 egg capacity. (I'm hand turning the button eggs, which fit nicely between the coturnix eggs and the center.)

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yeah, I'm happy performance wise with my Octagon 20 advanced, and as you say, it is really easy to clean.

I've not had the best hatches, but I chalk that up to a combination of shipped eggs in the summer heat and the mistakes made by a novice who is too anxious to interfere.

5. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    i have the octagon 20, and while I'm not "advanced" egg hatcher, I have had a lot of fun hatching since I got it for valentines day. It is very easy to clean.

6. Liexicof15

Liexicof15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Tampa
    I bought the Mini Advance about 3 months ago. It works great. Probably a 70% hatch rate, pretty good for a beginner using shipped eggs. I decided it was too small and made the big jump to the Ova Easy 190. I'm totally addicted![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by