Kung Pao sporting his new NO CROW collar and camo diaper

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by yoyobantam, Mar 3, 2014.

1. yoyobantam

yoyobantam Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Here is my little guy sporting his new duds!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    How is the collar working for him? Does he still crow? If so how loud? I'd love to see a video of this collar in action. I don't have any more cockerals myself but I did buy this collar because I want one badly for my girls but before I buy a male I wanted to see how well the collar worked for others. I want a male silkie for my female silkies so I requested the size be for a silkie. I'd really love to hear your feedback on this collar. Does it quiet the crow enough that it will no longer bother the neighbors or draw attention to the rooster? I've read it depends on the bird but what has been your experience with it? Thanks in advance for your help.

3. yoyobantam

Feb 23, 2014
    Hi!

Okay... So this is day two of wearing the NO CROW collar. Right now I don't think it is working much better than the collar that I made for him.
    I am not sure how I feel about it yet either. I figure I will mess around with it for a week or so.
    Kung Pao has a serious set of lungs for a Roo that barely weighs 1Lb!!!

Either collar, the one I made or the one I bought seem to reduce the sound some but do not eliminate it.

The trouble I am having with the collar I bought:
    • Doesn't stay as snug as you want it to stay-loosens and crowing gets louder
    • Kung Pao has gotten his lower beak caught in the top of the collar-doesn't seem to matter how snug it is.
    • He doesn't want to eat or drink with it on
    • Not easy to put on
    • Seems more to discourage crowing because the Roo is too busy trying to get it off
    • When it is snug it seems like it might muffle crowing a bit better than the one I made-but I don't know if the difference outweighs the difficulties I am having with the collar.
    • I wish there were more detailed instructions and trouble shooting guide with this collar
    • You would have to be really careful using this on an outdoor chicken-- The chances of him catching this on something are really high.
    • made out of net material and velcro

The little makeshift collar I made to use until the other arrived:
    • Seems to muffle crowing almost as much as the other collar
    • I would like it if it reduced the sound of his crowing a bit more
    • Kung Pao does not get his beak caught in it
    • He seems more willing to eat and drink with it on-it isn't quiet as wide
    • I made it out of a nylon strap about 1 inch wide an rolled cloth tape around it to make it thicker and more ridged-so cheaper than the other collar
    • going to try tweaking this collar and see which will work better.

I will take some pics of the collar I made too and will keep you posted on what seems to work best.
    I also have my chickens set up in the basement to reduce the risk of someone hearing a crow.. LOL

Also a breeder told me that Silkies are not big on the crowing and sound a bit like a dying cow when they do crow. Let me know if you order the NO CROw collar.. we might be able to make improvements on it.

GOOD LUCK!!! Will keep you posted on how it goes...
    Sincerely,
    Terri, Kung Pao, Sesame and Ginger

4. VsVariations

VsVariations Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    I was going to purchase a no crow collar, but the girl selling it on FB isn't getting back to me at all :(

My roo will be crowing in the next few weeks!

How have you been doing with your collar you've been using? I'm just hoping for an update! :)

Valerie

5. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    That is very interesting! Would you mind posting a video of him wearing the collar?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Kung Pao is so tiny does, the collar and the diaper weigh him down? He sure looks perky enough .

My friend has 4 house chickens 2 silkies and 2 seramas - she doesn't diaper any of them just, cleans up constantly. Honestly though I have never smelled anything bad at her home. I never would know she had chickens if I didn't see them peeking out from behind the couch.

7. yoyobantam

Feb 23, 2014
    Hi,
    QOUTE ""I was going to purchase a no crow collar, but the girl selling it on FB isn't getting back to me at all :(

My roo will be crowing in the next few weeks!

How have you been doing with your collar you've been using? I'm just hoping for an update! :)

Valerie""

I really decided I did not like the NO CROW collar. If it was snug enough to be effective my Roo's comb would get bluish on the ends. If it was even a little bit loose-[enough for me to get a pinky finger under it] He would get his lower beak caught in it.

The lady who sells them took ages to get back to me.
    If you want to Paypal me $10 I will ship you the two I bought...
    let me know,

Sincerely,
    Terri

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by