1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

L Brahma sex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by xcalibor67, May 6, 2017.

1. xcalibor67

xcalibor67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2017
    Heres a couple of pics of my L. Brahma. I got 2 at the same time, but this one was older so its hard to compare them. Hoping its a hen, but starting to wonder.According to the seller this chick should be about 8/9 weeks old. The thing that has me wondering is the attitude it has toward another chick i have, which is a 6week old EE, which im pretty sure is a roo. I have seen this Brahma challenge the smaller EE on several occasions, and vice versa.. I havent noticed it doing this with any other chicks. I am new to raising chicks, so my knowledge is very limited. I have read up on the pecking order, but these 2 seem to show a different attitude towards each other. I couldnt really see 3 rows on the comb, but it does look sorta large, and does show signs of pink wattles. As far as the tail feathers, all i see is fluff. not really developing fast.I also noticed is the rather large looking legs. I told my daughter, at least im gaining experience (Hopefully) by watching their behavior. Thanks for any help.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Maybe rooster. Its a little hard to tell. that young with that red of a face and thick legs is probably rooster. Might have to wait a few weeks

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  3. xcalibor67

xcalibor67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2017
    Thanks. I for sure will keep it, as well as my lil EE, at least until gender is verified..As i spent several hours a day around the coop/run, i really hope to gain some knowledge by watching them, learning traits & behavior patterns..Im sure chicks are some what like people, there will always be an exception, but hopefully an over all good learning cure for me..After seeing so many posts on gender, i feel there is no substitute for just doing it. Maybe a flock of sex links would have been easier LOL.

4. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I've learned so much from watching my chickens and learn more everyday!! Good luck with your birds!!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's much better to have photos of birds not being held. We need to see their natural stance - facing front and side profile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by