"La cage de poulet" coop design

Mike Massey

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
I'm new to the sight. My wife has finally twisted my arm enough, so we are now contemplating raising chickens. I was looking at the "La cage de poulet" coop design and wandering if anyone has the design and bill of materials?

Our coop is almost the same in style but in 6' x 9' there's looks to be 6' x 12'. We keep 6 average size hens in it 'till about noon and then they free range the rest of the day. We love the style and that the coop and run are integrated. It is great if we have to go away for the weeknd we know that the girls get the best of both worlds and we get our weekends! It has worked for us... even if we were to build again knowing what we know now about chickens... there are very few things that we would change and and we would build it all over again!

You can find it on: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1707-our-coop

We
spent about $400 - $450 on it. We used salvaged base blocks, siding, window, paint and a few pressure treated 2 x 4's. Other than that we bought all of the materials, including screen, roofing, etc at Lowes.

My husband is a general contractor (the kind that works in the field not just a paper contractor) so that was nice to have his expertise & tools. That being said... anybody could build a coop similar to this!

If you have any questions about how to build something like this we would be more than happy to help if we can! Just PM us.

Here is the coop all shiny & new... here its easier to see the construction elements

1707_coop_with_ramp.jpg

Here it is with the 'grown in' look. Sorry about the bad picture!

1707_021.jpg

We are almost finished building our "Chick Mansion" coop which was inspired by La Cage de Poulet and Cage Mahal. Coop is 6x4 and run is 6x8 for 6 girls who will free range during day. Walls are 7' high, roof approx 9' at peak. Coop is 24" off ground, with nice big storage area underneath. We used 2x4s, 3/4" sheathing, roofing felt and 4x8 cedar panel siding, architectural roof tiles and barn sash windows. Run will be enclosed with hardware cloth. And will have light over front window (in addition to socket inside in case heating lamp needed in winter)

Windows open out. Soffits have hinged flaps lined with hardware cloth for ventilation which can be closed in cold weather. Back 4' coop wall has clean out door. 6' Wall inside run has pop up door and additional smaller clean out door. Inside the coop there is a 6' roost along this wall at the height of the window on the opposite wall so the girls can look out. Outside 6' wall (pictured) has 12'x36" window over interior nest boxes with egg door below window. Below egg door are two doors to storage area under coop.

Total cost for everything $1000. (My husband had all the tools) Almost everything was bought at Home Depot, (except sash windows, light, hardware cloth and paint).

Notice impatient tenant below.

25962_9coop.jpg

25962_5coop.jpg

25962_3coop.jpg
25962_1coop.jpg

Rankar - do you have anymore pictures of the completed inside of the coop, and the soffits - I really like the design.

Thanks,

Yeti

Back
Top Bottom