La Fleche

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by chickmashnoon, Oct 1, 2011.

1. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Any breeders for la fleches in the midwest? Just curious. Not certain I am going to get some, but am interested in the breed. If I did, it wouldn't be till spring.

2. chickmashnoon

BTW, I'd like standard La Fleche in the traditonal black. Anyone?

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I believe sandhill carries them. I don't have any, but have 3 half la fleche chicks. One of the girls is my sweetest baby ever. She was broody raised but has always came up to me for some head scratches.

4. chickmashnoon

Really? That's a good sign. A lot of what I have read says they are very flighty, and while I want good foragers I also want chickens I don't have to lure back to their coop and that won't be terrified of me. How cold hardy do they seem to be? I have a hard time finding first hand info on them, and I trust actual chicken keepers over google [​IMG] Would love some first hand experience/info.

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Mine were just hatched in June, so I'm not sure how they do in winter. I got the eggs from pretty close to me though, so I guess they must do fairly well in cold weather. He had white and black la fleche, from sandhill. They were with a delaware rooster, so mine are half la fleche half delaware. I love their faces, and want to get a pure la fleche if I can ever find one locally (the guy I got them from sold all his chickens not too long after) I like not having the same chickens as everyone else, lol. Mine are around 15 weeks and all of them are under feet while I'm in the coop. The 4 delaware/cochin mixes that were their hatch mates are way more skittish than them.
    The 3 dark ones in this pick were them at about 8 weeks, I need to take some more recent pics.
    [​IMG]

6. sunnydalefarms

sunnydalefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sturgeon, MO
    Quote:Are you talking about Dave? I'm the guy who got his birds. I have his white and black La Fleche and am about 2 hours from Kansas City. I'll be offering hatching eggs available in an auction in the next few days. PM me if interested in chicks also.

Jerod

7. sunnydalefarms

sunnydalefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sturgeon, MO
    Quote:The ones I have are very flighty. We have them in a large enclosed run with an opening to inside our building. They are however, very consistant in going inside to roost before dark. I imagine if free ranged that they would head in to the coop if they are used to it. When everyone else is still outside and I have to corral them in, my la fleches are all in and roosting already.

Jerod

8. chickmashnoon

sunnydalefarms! you appear to be "close" to where my sister lives! kinda near Paris, Mo. and my grandmother lives in Mexico, MO. [​IMG] How cool! I didn't really think I'd find someone who had La Fleche in the midwest. Are you going to sell any? I'd be looking to start up a flock not this comming spring, but the next spring. (i'm plotting waaaay too far ahead ) I could probably even come pick them up, if you were selling. Of course, I'm getting ahead of myself here. White and black? do you notice any differences in temperment or meat value that corelate with color? Do they have crests like the french or not, like the english? What is their lineage? [​IMG] I can't believe you are just in MO.

What made you interested in the breed? I've been looking at a few different heritage poultry and these, the favorelle, and the scots dumpy are the ones I find most facinating.

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Those are not la fleche....

10. chickmashnoon

Julie's are only half la fleche. Other half Delaware. She's sounds like she would get some purebreeds too if able. I am really curious what the mix will do to their combs. Do you have any more recent pics, Julie?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by