Label Rouge -- very interesting article on meat birds in France

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickenannie, Apr 10, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
  2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I buy these everytime I'm in England. It's very interesting that Cornish crosses are not allowed under the label rouge scheme. There is also the RSPCA "Freedom Food" label in grocery stores. I think the symbol is a little red tractor on the chicken packaging.

It would be nice to see private certification of organic or sustainable growing practices in the US, rather than waiting for the USDA to get moving on anything.

3. jhill1440

jhill1440 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    Central Texas
    Quote:It is a just starting but there is a private, independent and self policed alternative to the "USDA Organic" labeling.

Certified Naturally Grown - http://www.naturallygrown.org/

It
    seems easy enough for a small producer to be able to implement. That is, easier than jumping through the "organic" hoops.

I only have a backyard garden that I occasionally sell from and this would allow me to use a label that my customers could easily see where the standards come from. I have not yet applied, but probably within the year will do so.

Hope this help.

Joshua

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Oh yes. I've very aware of the certified naturally grown. It's the route I would probably go for my ruminants. In my climate, I could probably not get away with organic lamb. Cows are possible, but though (parasite problems). For my number of animals, though, I haven't taken teh CNG plunge yet. I sell 100% of what I produce, and my customers want the product I'm giving them. I don't see the need (yet) to add another layer of work for myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by