Labelling to sell to friends

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tiffrz-N-Kidz, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    Hi -
    My daughter is planning to sell our extra eggs and wants to work up a stickey label to apply to her cartons. Besides the name of her 'business', what other data needs to be on the label? Safe handling procedures, I would guess.

And any pictures of your own designs would be lovely. :)

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Farm raised
    Pasture raised
    Free range
    Hand picked [​IMG]

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Check with your county or state Ag Extension Service. I know in NC you can't label then as "Grade A" along with some other things.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If she's only selling to friends or people who otherwise personally know her she doesn't need any label. They know who she is.

It's for strangers who don't know her that you need a label. On my cartons I have the pack date, my name, e-mail address and "Unclassified. Not graded for quality. Not weighed for sale." This is so folks won't mistake them for graded eggs.

5. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    Thank you for the input. I will check with the Ag extention on verbiage.

6. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    mr. birdaholic :

Farm raised
    Pasture raised
    Free range
    Hand picked [​IMG]

Hand picked? I am SO using that...​

7. dfdesigns

dfdesigns Indigo Ridge Farm

Sep 20, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I love the "hand picked", too! Awesome. I think putting "ungraded" on there somewhere is probably a really good idea, and I will update mine.

Here's what I have on mine. I just print these off on labels and stick them to my clear plastic 6 egg cartons... they look nice all together. I just remembered that I need to make some that say "LARGE" now that my older girls are laying bigger eggs.

[​IMG]

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Very cute! I think "Organic" is another term we can't use here in NC, but we can use "Natural." But, if you are just selling to friends and neighbors you don't really need an official label.

9. TK421

TK421 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Central TX
    In Texas, if you sell at a Farmer's Market, you have to have the word Ungraded and the vendor's name and address. If you're selling at home, to neighbors, etc... probably not any restrictions, but ungraded would be a good idea to have on there.

10. Cindlady

Cindlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    S.E. WI
    My kids get most of my eggs but I want to make sure I get my cartons back so I just write "From Mom & "The Girls"" on the the carton. LOL... I do like the "Hand Picked" thing too![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by