Labored Breathing in 6wk old Chick

Peaches Lee

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Pennsylvania
Three days ago chick started with labored breathing. Acting normal, eyes bright and clear, no mucous discharge from nostrils or eyes but a slight sniffling was noted, color seems good. She is currently on medicated chick starter with access to water. Haven't seen her eat, noticed her pecking. She was in with 39 other chicks and no other chick is displaying these symptoms.

She seems to act normal otherwise, before being isolated she was chasing and being mean to other chicks. Today her breathing has a tiny raspy noise. I've seen her adjust her crop last night as well. She is/has been bedded in small pine shavings. So, now I'm wondering, is this an upper respiratory infection or some sort of congenital defect now showing up as she's growing or did she eat a piece of shavings? My real question is what type of medication should I give her if we do have an URI? Thank you for any help!

eyes bright and clear, no mucous discharge from nostrils or eyes but a slight sniffling was noted, color seems good.
Today her breathing has a tiny raspy noise. I've seen her adjust her crop last night as well.

Can you post a video of her breathing?

You mention that you haven't seen her eat, but just picking at food? Is she drinking?
Has her crop emptied overnight - how does it feel?
Does she have access to some type of grit?

I would first check to make sure the crop is functioning properly and see that she is drinking well, then eating.

A slight sniffle could be anything from clearing food/water or dust from the nostrils to the beginning of respiratory illness.

Since you have her separated, monitor her closely for any other symptoms like lethargy, water/discharge/pus from the eyes, mucous coming from the nostrils, facial swelling, consistent coughing, consistent sneezing, etc. Since you are not seeing other symptoms that usually accompany respiratory illness, it may be best to wait and see before administering any medications. Antibiotics will only help with secondary infections due to respiratory illness. Injectable Tylan50 would be a good choice to use, it can be given orally or by injection.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you for your reply! I will try my darndest to get a video when I get home from work! Not sure about her crop, I need to check that. Thanks again!

Well, I got some great video but cannot seem to get it on this site. But to answer your questions, no grit. Crop is empty (she took a very large poop too), did see her eat. Breathing is also visible in her throat, like it comes down. I'll keep working on trying to get the video, thank you again for your help Wyorprock!

Back
Top Bottom