labored breathing/swallowing, "goopy" mouth and eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Where The Wild Things Are, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Bantam Barred Rock. no idea of her age. possibly thinner
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Hard time swallowing and breathing. "goopy" mouth and eye. Small hard crop
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 1 week
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No idea
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Eating a little, I have not seen her drink
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Pedialyte in water
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I will treat her
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. 4' x 6' Insulated coop (unheated) and 8' x 40' run. Mix of straw and shavings dusted with DE.

I recently adopted 2 hens from a local avian shelter (a bantam Barred Rock and a Japanese). I am disgusted with myself for not taking the time to thoroughly check them over at the shelter, it was love at first sight...and everything else went out the window (including my common sense). The Manager of the shelter assured me that upon arrival, each bird is seen by a Vet and dusted for mites/lice. I am also disgusted with myself for not quarantining them when we got them home (the assurance of the manager at the shelter made me think all was well...again, common sense out the window!). The Barred Rock was covered in feces and was pretty stinky, but it was cold so a bath would have to wait a couple days until the weather warmed up. Once we gave her a bath, we discovered that she was infested with lice (now I'm furious!) I'm furious with myself for not checking her closely and for breaking the golden quarantine rule, and I'm furious with the Manager at the shelter for selling me a load of good ol' fashion B.S.. This is my first experience with lice. Once she was dry, I dusted her with Sevin. I checked all my girls (no evidence of lice) and dusted the rest of them with DE. I had just cleaned the coop and replaced their bedding and dusted with DE. My plan is to wait 10 days (hoping any eggs will have hatched by then) and then replace the bedding and dust everyone/everything with Sevin. I know if one has lice..they ALL have lice. Since we have had her (the Barred Rock) it seems like she has had kind of a hard time swallowing and had a "goopy" mouth. She will eat and then kind of "gulps"...I figured she was adjusting her crop (I know she eats MUCH better here than she did at the shelter) I have also never seen her take a drink of water. I thought she might not be used to what she's eating (lay crumbles/scratch/fresh spinach/frozen corn/BOSS) I added Pedialyte to their water. She has not stopped doing it, so last night on logged onto BYC and did some research. It seems that either an impacted crop or worms are the culprit. When I let her out this morning, she had a "goopy' mouth and her left eye had clear "goopy" bubbles. I felt her crop and it was small and very hard. There was no odor from her eye or mouth, and I could not see anything blocking her throat. She is very lethargic today. I could really use any advice you have to offer. I do not give up easily on my girls, but I will not watch them suffer. Culling is my last resort of there is a successful treatment that will work quickly so she wont suffer. None of my other girls (including the Japanese I got with the Barred Rock) have shown any signs/symptoms. I welcome any help...

Thank you

2. Where The Wild Things Are

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    She has been separated from the flock and has been given olive oil (via dropper) and pedialyte (via dropper). She's warm and comfortable with soft food (yogurt/softened crumbles) and pedialyte. I am going to treat this as an impacted crop (until someone offers another scenario). I will massage her crop in the morning and report on any droppings. But the "goopy" eye is probably not caused by an impacted crop, so please offer any advice/help/comments that you may have.

3. Where The Wild Things Are

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    Bump!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by