labored breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mikeru, Nov 29, 2014.

1. mikeru

mikeru Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    I have a pekin duck who cannot stop opening and closing her mouth labored breathing ,there is no local vet until mon and it is sat night tomorrow sunday I will take her in Mon morning How can I help her now?

2. chickenstar

chickenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2014
    Hi,so sorry about your duck,you can go and buy some vetrex oinment from your local feed store or tractor supply and rub some around the nostrils, be sure not to apply directly on its nostrils and this will really help with breathing and is all natural based on rosemary and oregano oil and is quite afective.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is she in a very warm place?

Are her nares clear, or clogged? Does she have a way to wash her head frequently?

I would put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a gallon of water in a deep pot and let her wash her head. Also, if this has gone on for a while, it could be a sinus or upper respiratory infection, and that would need antibiotics if it has progressed for a while.

A vet is a good idea.

4. mikeru

Sep 11, 2013
    O my God she died over night I am so shocked this all happened in 2 days

5. mikeru

Sep 11, 2013
    she died over night.Something happened ? but what

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss... Open mouth breathing can be a sign that the dying process has started, so probably not much that you could have done.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could send her for a necropsy if you really want to know. Many states will do them for free.

State Vets

Labs listed by state.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by