Lab's ears?

Chickengal505

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Bolivia N.C
I was working with my pure choco. lab the other day and noticed her ears arn't perfict triangles at all
hmm.png
Is this a result of poor selective breeding or is it natural? I'm not going to worry with all the fancy show crap, But her father didn't turn in his puppy papers
he.gif
and told the breeder (a good friend of mine) that he had the papers just had to dig them up
barnie.gif
anyway she's pure 100% but not papered.
hu.gif
whats up with her ears? They've been like this sense she was a pup, but I thought she would grow out of it. Pics:

Good example of a lab's ears (got it from google NOT my pic):

46573_chocolate-lab-buddy.jpg

Molly's ear's:

46573_easter_the_pups_045.jpg

Her ears are like this 24/7 is it normal? Thanks
-Holly

She is just fine nuthing is wrong with her .... My dogs Ears are the same way..but my dogs ears are like oppisite one of them are perfect and the other one is lop sided like your dog in pic #2 so dont worry nuthing is wrong with you dogs ears they are just like that!!
wink.png

It's just her ear-set. You wouldn't believe all the crap people go through to get the dogs ears to lay "correctly" for that breed. You don't think that little half-fold on a collie ear happens by itself? That's just one example , many, many breeds have various tricks to get a particular ear-set/carriage.

Last edited:
I worked for vets for a long time and we were always havign people wanting us to do corrective ear surgery on their dogs to make them set right. None of the vets I worked for would do it, but htey always found someone to do these un-nessecasy painful procedures.

Google images of what doberman people do to their dogs and what happens when it goes wrong if you want to get sick. I had a purebred loving dobie that was dumped at the pound after his ear surgery went wrong. His ears were still in bandages, they hadn't even waited to see how they would end up looking, they just knew they were goign to be too short.

Quote:
Wow, people actually glue their puppies ears to get the like that?!
ep.gif
I just do not understand people, is their really a problem with the natural look?

th.gif
I knew it was just her ear set but I didn't know that this set was normal. I would never let anyone operate on her or glue her ears or anythng
hu.gif
I just thought that the triangle set was natural
he.gif

It's not a standard ear set...in other words if you were going to show her it would be a HUGE fault, but there is nothing wrong with them. They just don't meet breed standard.

Actually, you are very lucky to have her ears lay that way. As a previous owner of Labs, I know from experience that Labs are prone to ear (yeast) infection of the ears due to the fact that the ears lay over the hole which allows moisture to build up therefore allowing yeast to build up. So, your girls ears should stay drier naturally. Which is great if she has access to water!!!

that's really interesting. My dog's ears lay both. like in the first pic and in the pic of your pup. I don't show dogs, so I don't know about breed standard. My pup has never had ear problems, mites, yeast or anything.

Quote:
I am not saying you would. I just don't understand how they could make that the breed standard if it doesn't even occur naturally, or very rarely.

Your dog's ears are fine the way they are, for a pet. Of course you couldn't ever show her, and you should never breed a dog with a fault. For with each generation, the fault will show up again and again, and there are already far too many dogs being put down in shelters every day. As far as a pet goes, she is beautiful, enjoy her.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom