laced wyandottes

Suechick

Songster
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
Carlsbad, CA
Hey BYCers. I am looking to add a few chicks to my flock. I have 2 BOs and one RIR that are 3 months old. I'd like to add a few wyandottes because I've read that their personalities are docile and quiet. Can anyone recommend where I should buy a small order of silver, golden or blue laced Wyandotte chicks?

Thanks

Are you looking for just plain Wyandottes or real/good quality Wyandottes? If choice A - Ideal Poultry and Murray McMurray sell hatchery-quality Wyandottes in Silver and Gold laced as well as Columbian, sometimes Blue laced Red, and I believe white. If you're looking for some real Wyandottes, you can ask around for certain breeders.

What do you mean by "real" wyandottes? I am hoping to get birds with the beauty of the silver laced or golden laced or blue laced colors that I've seen pictures of and that have the docile quiet temperment that I've also read about. Would I be disappointed by "hatchery" chicks?

Quote:
If you're asking me, I originally got eggs from breeders, but now, for the most part I just hatch my own eggs.

When you get chicks or eggs from someone who is trying to breed to the APA standard for that breed you're more likely to get a bird that actually looks like the breed is supposed to. Hatcheries on the other hand hatch for quantity , not quality and the birds often don't have the coloring or the body type they're supposed to. Just depends on what you want. If all you care about is eggs to eat the hatchery birds are fine.....if you want birds that actually look like the breed go with a respected breeder.

Thanks Katy

What are some examples of "respected breeder" ? Ijusted ordered a gaggle of pullets from a hatchery. I'll see how this goes. But this breeder thing is interesting. I guess I never through of that approach.

If you go to any photo's of Katy's birds,there are others of course and look at the almost basketball shape and the perfect lacing then compare that to hatchery Wyandottes that have a long back little tail lift and very imperfect lacing you will see a big difference.

If you have already ordered keep those and take your time and find some eggs or chicks from breeders and keep a few and see what you think.

im happy with my golden laced wyandottes i got from cackle hatchery last year. they are calm pretty and not flighty at all. they are a quiet breed.

Yeah, Katy has some Wyandottes that are the image of a perfect, a "real" Wyandotte. Basketball shape, perfect lacing throughout the body, very full feathered look - Just beautiful! Hatchery Wyandottes look like, well, mine.
hide.gif
They all have either partially laced chests and good laced backs, or good laced chests and terrible ẅhite "nips" on their backs. Their bodies are much more slender, not as full, and their tails are very erect, elongated, and thin. Wyandottes should have a sort of "tailless" but poofy look. Oh, and all of my hatchery girls were pretty much "to themselves" on their first 6 months of age. It wasn't until 7 months that they calmed down and got a little more friendly. Now that doesn't mean they are bad - They're very reliable egg layers and very hardy, just no where near as amazing as, say, Katy's birds.

My blog has a couple examples of what my Murray McMurray girls look like at 5 months: Here

Back
Top Bottom