laceration treatment advice please, pics(slightly graphic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by justplainbatty, Feb 18, 2015.

1. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Songster

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    [​IMG]This wound is mostly covered by wing in normal position.

[​IMG] The size is between a nickel and a quarter

[​IMG]Yesterday i flushed with peroxide, there is an open pocket under the skin. Then I packed with triple antibiotic and covered with non stick pad and wrapped her loosely with vet wrap for the night. Just before I took this pic today, I applied betadine and re applied triple antibiotic but left wound uncovered.

[​IMG] I did trim away feathers around the wound but of course I can't keep her wing out of it [​IMG]
    Anyway, she is inside in a cage, eating and drinking normally.

[​IMG] Her name is Pretty, the first EE I have ever had that was not brown/gold/black colored mutt.
    My question is, since I see exposed flesh, a little yellow, ragged edges of the sliced skin which I don't know how or if to suture, how long should I keep her away from flock, how should healing look and is it better to keep covered, uncovered or alternate? Should I give oral antibiotic? I have a hen saddle to put on her at some point. Thank you in advance for advice and opinion! [​IMG]

2. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Songster Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think that you have done very good wound care, and one way to keep the wing from contaminating the wound is to use a clean baby T shirt or hen apron to keep the wound clean. I would not try to suture a dirty wound, but it should fill in with healthy tissue and heal within a couple of weeks.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Songster

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
  5. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Songster

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Thanks, I was wondering if the saddle might rub it raw and get gooey with tripleA and dirt. She hates being in the house, she is my flighty scared bird. Even as a chick, she would scream bloody murder if she got picked up, weird. If a saddle will still allow the wound some air, I will put it on her and let her go back out. She'll just have to get used to getting pulled off the roost every night for a check up and more medicine. thanks again! [​IMG]

6. shebbles123

shebbles123 Hatching

Feb 17, 2015
    If she is acting normally, I would put her back in the coop as soon as possible. You can cover her wound with blu-kote, and anti-pick spray, and continue to treat her like you have been at least once a day. If you notice her getting picked on, then I would separate her till her wound is basically healed.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by