laceration treatment advice please, pics(slightly graphic)

justplainbatty

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
emmet MI
This wound is mostly covered by wing in normal position.

The size is between a nickel and a quarter

Yesterday i flushed with peroxide, there is an open pocket under the skin. Then I packed with triple antibiotic and covered with non stick pad and wrapped her loosely with vet wrap for the night. Just before I took this pic today, I applied betadine and re applied triple antibiotic but left wound uncovered.

I did trim away feathers around the wound but of course I can't keep her wing out of it
tongue.png

Anyway, she is inside in a cage, eating and drinking normally.

Her name is Pretty, the first EE I have ever had that was not brown/gold/black colored mutt.
My question is, since I see exposed flesh, a little yellow, ragged edges of the sliced skin which I don't know how or if to suture, how long should I keep her away from flock, how should healing look and is it better to keep covered, uncovered or alternate? Should I give oral antibiotic? I have a hen saddle to put on her at some point. Thank you in advance for advice and opinion!
smile.png

I think that you have done very good wound care, and one way to keep the wing from contaminating the wound is to use a clean baby T shirt or hen apron to keep the wound clean. I would not try to suture a dirty wound, but it should fill in with healthy tissue and heal within a couple of weeks.

I think that you have done very good wound care, and one way to keep the wing from contaminating the wound is to use a clean baby T shirt or hen apron to keep the wound clean. I would not try to suture a dirty wound, but it should fill in with healthy tissue and heal within a couple of weeks.

Thanks, I was wondering if the saddle might rub it raw and get gooey with tripleA and dirt. She hates being in the house, she is my flighty scared bird. Even as a chick, she would scream bloody murder if she got picked up, weird. If a saddle will still allow the wound some air, I will put it on her and let her go back out. She'll just have to get used to getting pulled off the roost every night for a check up and more medicine. thanks again!
tongue.png

If she is acting normally, I would put her back in the coop as soon as possible. You can cover her wound with blu-kote, and anti-pick spray, and continue to treat her like you have been at least once a day. If you notice her getting picked on, then I would separate her till her wound is basically healed.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom