1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lacey Duck- The Call Duck raised by a chicken!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Johnn, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    A few month ago, I decided I wanted to get a couple of ducks. I decided to let my broody hen sit on 3 Call Duck eggs. All three hatched and the next day, rats broke into the shed and sadly stole all 3 from the mother. A month later, I had the rat problem under control, so I bought 6 more Call duck eggs. My broody sat on them until day 24 and then got off and left them to go cold. Luckily, I had another broody who happily took over. 4 of the 6 eggs were fertile. First to hatch was little Lacey, second and third to hatch got squished by the hen and then the fourth one died whilst hatching. So it's fair to say I didn't have the best luck with them! But little Lacey made up for it all! I used to go to check on her all the time to make sure she was ok. I used to go up paranoid every morning thinking I would find her dead or stolen. She got named Lacey after my Light Sussex hen who died in a tragic accident. She was feeding when another hen tripped over the feeder and broke her neck. So I thought, "special duck in memorial of a special hen". Anyways, as Lacey got older, I decided she needed a friend. My friend had some Call Duck boys they needed to rehome, so I got her one of them as a boyfriend! She was terrified of him at first and Bella was acting like her body guard, but they both love him now! Here are some pictures of her, from start to finish! I hope you enjoy them! She even hatched in my hand!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Spot her!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    OOOh I loved all of your pictures! It was like reading a story :) I had to chuckle at this one -

[​IMG]

This is exactly what I (chicken) and my kids (duck) look like at the end of the day. She looks ready for bedtime!

And can I come live with you? I will just take care of your animals, do farm chores, and look at the scenery all day. Does that work for you?

3. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    Thank you! Haha!

4. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    Beautiful pics and Lacey is adoreable and so is her Moma. Loved looking at them, thanks so much for sharing her story with us.

Patty

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2!! just great pics and beautiful scenery. Calendar material for next year.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  6. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    This pic!!! <3

I recognize Lacey from Facebook (Ducks, Ducks, and Ducks). I was one who gave a little advice when you first got Daffy. So cool to see more pics of Lacey when she was younger, and hear more of her story. Thanks for sharing!

7. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011

Thank you all! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by