Ash_lie

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2017
Hudson Valley NY
My girl Poppy who is 17 weeks old has slowly declined over the past few weeks. I had her evaluated by our vet and after feceal analysis appeared to have worms. They gave her fluids, and we dewormed her, also put her on antibiotic just in case something else was going on. Since then (It's been 2 weeks now), she is still acting abnormally. Her are symptoms are as follows...

Not eating
Not drinking
Weight Loss
Stands around
Acts Off - Spacey
Nom Nom Noms her beak as if shes tasting something but obviously not

Before she went down she was so healthy, and had just begun to lay eggs. Shes so young. The only thing I can think of is that she is in some kind of pain, but of course with poultry you just can't tell. She literally has no interest in food. She comes out of the coop in the morning and just stands in the run. Walks right past the food as if she doesn't care.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for the time you take to respond to my post.

Those are all general signs that a chicken isn't doing well. It could be something internal, like organ failure, or it could be something she ate. Chickens will often eat things they shouldn't which will cause a decline in health. Stuff like strings, or nails, or even hair bands I have read. I don't think you can do anything and pinning down exactly what is wrong is a job for a vet. Yours apparently couldn't find the cause either unfortunately.

Hi @Ash_lie :frow Welcome To BYC

Can you re-consult the vet since she isn't improving?
What type of worms did the vet determine that she had and what was the de-wormer used?

I'm very sorry, there can be so many things that can go wrong - do I understand correctly - she started laying eggs at around 15wks of age? What breed is she?
Give her a good going over to see if she has any mites/lice, that her crop is emptying overnight and that she has no bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid in the belly.

Do the best you can to get keep her hydrated - it won't hurt to offer some poultry vitamins for a couple of days and little yogurt/probiotics to give her a boost after de-worming and antibiotics.
Keep us posted.

Thank you all for your replies... sadly we lost Poppy this morning <3 I did my best to keep her hydrated, used probiotics and electrolytes and also was syringing mash. 3 weeks of up and down and no desire to eat or drink took her. She had an empty crop whenever I felt her. No mites or lice. Perhaps she did eat something she shouldn't have.

Back
Top Bottom