Lack of Eggs - Stopped Laying or Hen is Eating ?

PAW

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2018
4 hens - all just turning 2 years old. For the past 6 to 8 weeks the laying has basically stopped. My RR was laying 3 eggs per week and now is down to maybe 1 egg per week. One hen is laying super thin shelled eggs, maybe 1 or 2 per week. End of egg concaves because the shell is so thin. Oyster shell is always available, fresh water, feed. Live in Northern IL so we are seeing signs of Spring.
I know one is eating eggs on occasion. Have placed golf balls and a mustard filled egg in the boxes to detour bad behavior.
Any ideas what is happening?

Occasional treats, left overs from our refrigerator - rice, oatmeal, cooked veggies, etc. I have a cabbage hanging in the run for entertainment and snacking.

feed them oyster shells. or supplements in feed. the chickens could be eating them if ylou have given them fresh, clean water every day.

Do you feed a complete layer feed?
Occasional and in once a week or once a day?

Have you ever wormed your flock?

The feeders are always full. I feed them AgriMaster Layer 16% Poultry Feed from Farm & Fleet.
What part of the world are you in?
What's your weather like right now?
Are your birds molting?

feed them oyster shells. or supplements in feed. the chickens could be eating them if ylou have given them fresh, clean water every da
Do you feed a complete layer feed?
Occasional and in once a week or once a day?

Have you ever wormed your flock?

How do you worm them?
I have read about pumpkin or squash being a natural dewormer. So if that's the case - yes. If it something else, then no.

feed them oyster shells. or supplements in feed. the chickens could be eating them if ylou have given them fresh, clean water every day.

What type of Supplements do you suggest?
This has been going on way too long so I need to get them back on track laying and NOT eating.

Are your birds molting?
Are your birds molting?

Northern Illinois, USA
Getting towards the end of winter. Mid 20's at night and during the day temp varies from high 30's to 55 degrees. I have noticed extra feathers on the ground so yes someone(s) are starting to molt.

Back
Top Bottom