Lack of eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kitty Cat, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    So I'm pretty sure I have Marek's in my flock which I know would make egg laying decline drastically. But I also think my hens have a calcium deficiency. I've been giving them their eggshells back and they have oyster shells all the time but it doesn't seem to be working very well. I was wondering if I could just buy some calcium supplements from Wal-Mart or somewhere and dissolve them and put it in their water?

Update So apparently it was a calcium deficiency. The supplements from Wal-Mart worked well, just dissolved a pill in water and placed it in their waterer. The next day I got 3 extra eggs, hard shells. It seems to be improving their laying slowly but surely. I dropped down to once a week and I am going to try and switch to a different layer pellet. But thanks for all the advice. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Giving them fresh green stuff like grass cuttings or spinach may help. I got some hens laying once by feeding them lusern (alfalfa).

3. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    They get plenty of scraps. Whatever my family doesn't eat they get. They get fresh greens fairly often as well.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Should be getting more than enough calcium there and from the oyster shells which is a good supplement. I give my hens 1 part layer pellets and 6 parts crushed corn (maize?) and access to greens and they lay well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by