Lack of eggs

Western Montana Chick

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 4, 2010
My hens are about 18 months old and have pretty much quit laying. I believe there is a down time, molt and all. Is there a general time span before they start laying again? And how many years do hens normally lay? I have two buffs, one RR, and one Black Orth. Would appreciate input as hubby thinks it is time for stewing hens!! Thanks.

Most breeds will lay for about 3 years, and the breeds you have most definitely lay for about that time. Yes, this is about the time for them to molt, especially since they are 18 months. All of my 18 month olds are molting this year. If they aren't molting, the colder weather and shorter days cause them to slow down in production. But 18 months is not old enough to stew your birds!
smile.png

Quote:
When they are molting they don't lay. They also need 14 hours of light to lay, so they generally take time off in the winter. Some people put a light on a timer to come on in the coop early in the morning, which is an option. I choose to give mine a break based on the theory that they will lay longer and perhaps live longer if they have the natural rest period.

You will see eggs again, don't worry.
smile.png

And,
welcome-byc.gif

I just joined,I Got 20 hens,1 black,2 leghorns,1 black speckle white,1black with bronze head, these are 18 m. old ,4 barred and rest RR these are 7 m old, I been getting 1 doz. a day, its winter time in Mi.

Yay Chicks! :

Quote:
When they are molting they don't lay. They also need 14 hours of light to lay, so they generally take time off in the winter. Some people put a light on a timer to come on in the coop early in the morning, which is an option. I choose to give mine a break based on the theory that they will lay longer and perhaps live longer if they have the natural rest period.

You will see eggs again, don't worry.
smile.png

And,
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks, this is pretty much how I had it figured, but nice to have a conformation. Western Montana Chick​

Back
Top Bottom