Lack of eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ekkas, Jul 30, 2014.

1. ekkas

ekkas Hatching

May 16, 2014
    Hi all,

I'm from the UK and have been keeping chickens for 8 months (so just a chick) but have recently encountered an issue with egg laying.
    Initially I had 2 polish 1 bantam and another hen called Mildred that turned into a David! I didn't mind having the cockerel as he was given to us by mistake with the other hens from a local garden centre. The hens were not quite at POL but soon started laying at one a day which is very good. The Polish began to get broody and egg laying was reduced and during this time the cockerel started to become very aggressive, I tried all sorts of things to help stop this behaviour but to no avail so he went back. We then got another polish type and another beautifully coloured hen as they were friends, but have just realised (crowing) that we have yet another David! If he's not aggressive I don't mind but the main problem is that the only hen now laying is the new polish hen and the original 3 hens have completely stopped. This happened as we returned the cockerel and introduced the new ones to the coop. They all get on fine, they eat the best of diets plus treats in moderation, have the run of the garden two to three days a week and live inside a 10sqm run the rest of the time. They are not moulting, all look as fit as a fiddle and are always kept clean in their coop. I use DE and have recently introduced a garlic and vinegar mix to their drink which is supposed to help (can't remember name) amongst combating many other illnesses but still just 1 egg a day from the new hen and this has gone on now for 6 weeks.

Sorry for the first post being soo long but I'm currently sat in a waiting room with nothing better to do! :)

Any help greatly appreciated as you can't beat the taste of our own hens eggs.

Thanks

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Chickens don't like to be rehomed. So any new birds can stop laying for quite sometime till they become comfortable and adjusted to their new home. Of course lots of other reasons can stop a hen from laying for excessive heat or cold spells, health issues, stress, improper diet, too many treats, ect...Here is a thread on why my chickens are not laying that may be of help to you....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

But for now, give any new birds time to adjust. Keep the stress down, don't try to pick them up and just let them relax. It would also help to give them an overall exam as health issues will stop them from laying as well.

Good luck and hope the eggs start coming soon!

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2, re-homing causes stress on chickens and stress causes hens to not lay. Poor nutrition, too many treats, health problems and hot or cold temps can all effect laying too, as Two Crows said.

They should adjust soon.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good suggestions and links above. Also bantams generally are not that productive and tend to be streaky layers, Polish really vary on how well they lay, if they were all going broody six weeks is not that long to get over it and get back to laying, it may take them several months to get back on track even if they have stopped trying to brood right now.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I agree with the above posters.

6. ekkas

ekkas Hatching

May 16, 2014
    Hi,

Thanks for all your answers I really appreciate it.:)

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You've been given some good advice from the other BYC members, and a good link from TwoCrows. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chooks.
    Cheers.

8. ekkas

ekkas Hatching

May 16, 2014
    Hi all,

Regarding their feed should I just be feeding them layers pellets and just give them corn as a treat?

I give them approximately a 50/50 mix at the moment and they don't look over weight but am wondering if this could be hindering their egg production?

Thanks in advance.

Ekkas

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Corn is a treat - yes - you want treats to comprise no more than 10% of their overall diet. Corn has little nutritional value and will negatively impact the overall protein content of their diet, especially when mixed with an already lower protein content feed like layer pellets which tend to be around 16% to begin with.

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Yes, corn is very high fat and poorly balanced, lacking in minerals and vitamins with poor calcium levels. Generally feed primarily formulated feed, with no more than 15% of their diet additional grains like scratch or corn. Keep oyster shell grit around too so they get enough calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: