Lack of feathering?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JenniferJoIN, Sep 19, 2007.

1. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    This is the chick I had previously mentioned that seemed to be missing feathers. In fact, I named her Minnie for Minimal Feathering. Maybe once they all grow in she'll look better, but right now she looks rough! Does she look okay or is something wrong?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    She looks perfectly normal to me. She's just losing her down feathers before all the regular feathers come in. She's really cute.

3. JenniferJoIN

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Good, I'm glad to hear that! She just looks kinda... scrappy right now!

4. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    I remember reading somewhere that there is some kind of a sheath covering each feather and until that wears off they can look pretty rough.

5. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Found it:

Immature feathers, called pin or blood feathers, grow out of the skin rolled up in a tube-like structure called a keratin sheath. Normally, the bird will use its beak to "preen," or rub off the keratin sheath, which will allow the feather to open up. These immature feathers have a large blood vessel in their center and if the pin feather is torn or damaged, it will bleed excessively. The entire feather in its sheath must be pulled firmly from its attachment to the skin and pressure applied for a few minutes until the bleeding stops.

6. JenniferJoIN

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Wow... that does sound like why she looks like she does. I had never heard of that, so thank you for the information!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by